Ron Gets a Howler

Herbology was never (Y/N)'s favorite class, but she found herself quite excited that it was her first one of the day. She would be venturing into Greenhouse Three that year, which was home to far more interesting plants than there were in Greenhouse One.

"Far more dangerous, too," Hermione had told her. "We'll need to be careful to pay attention to everything Professor Sprout says..."

By the time class started, the second years were chatting fervently amongst themselves about what was in store for their class, or simply still catching up from the Summer Holidays. Dean and Seamus were quick to find (Y/N) and start up a conversation before anyone else could.

"Did you see the Whomping Willow?" Dean asked. "Professor Sprout covered the whole thing in bandages!"

(Y/N)'s eyes widened. "Really?"

Seamus nodded enthusiastically. "I heard she's been working on it all morning. That's why she's late."

(Y/N) felt a bit guilty that Professor Sprout had to do all that work, but she thought a few bandages served that tree right. She didn't understand what was so special about it anyway, nor why they would keep something so bloodthirsty on school grounds.

"Looks like you could use some bandages, too." Seamus nodded to her bruised cheekbone. "That tree really did a number."

"Oh, this isn't..." (Y/N) stopped herself. If she told her friends she got that bruise from when Ron fell back into his father's flying car, it would not look nearly as impressive. Besides, she found it to be a bit embarrassing as it was, so she simply shook her head. "I can hardly feel it," She said instead.

Professor Sprout came into the Greenhouse, her arms full of bandages that she discarded in a nearby pot. She had a great amount of earth on her clothes and seemingly even more under her nails. She looked cheerful, like she usually did, despite having been working all morning long.

"Good morning, everyone!" She greeted, tapping her wand three times on a pot.

The students quieted down and turned to face her way. "Good morning Professor Sprout."

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three second years!" Her smile was infectious, for (Y/N) found herself grinning along. "Now gather around, everyone! Today we are going to repot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of a Mandrake root?"

Not to anyone's surprise, Hermione's hand shot straight up in the air.

Professor Sprout nodded at her eagerly. "Miss Granger?"

Hermione smiled brightly, thrilled to be answering the first question of the year. "Mandrake," she said. "Or Mandragora is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state."

Just when (Y/N) thought she'd finished answering the question, Hermione started on again. "It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent!" Said Professor Sprout. "Ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet. But, they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So, could you please put them on?"

(Y/N) reached for the earmuffs in front of her. She didn't want to get knocked out; her year had already been exhilarating enough. She wanted at least a day's rest before another inevitable mishap befell her. So, when she put on her earmuffs, she made sure they completely covered her ears.

"Flaps tight down, and watch me closely!" Professor Sprout pulled a nearby pot closer to her. "You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply out of the pot--" She yanked the Mandrake from it's safe haven, and at once the sound of it's ear-splitting cries invaded the silence of the room.