Five Years

everyone please play the song above later on in the chapter. it adds so much to the little scene and had me feeling all kinds of emotions while i was writing it. i have it noted on when to play the song later on — trust me it's so worth it!! (:
- - -

Hand-washing the bedpans the morning after a brutal Quidditch game was perhaps Snape's cruelest punishment to date. Not only was (Y/N) exhausted and sore, but there was a great influx of patients the day before, meaning plenty of bedpans to clean. It was made worse by the fact that Madam Pomfrey hadn't kept Harry overnight, so (Y/N) had no one to complain to while she worked.

She finished up halfway through breakfast, but had to take a shower before she could go down. When she finally made it to the Great Hall, she found that Harry, Ron, and Hermione were nowhere in sight, so she grabbed a bit of
toast and headed back to Gryffindor Tower.

She was halfway there when she ran into Professor Lupin just outside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. He looked similar to how he had when (Y/N) first saw him on the train. He was paler than usual, had dark circles under his eyes, and looked a bit thin, as though he'd gone through a bad bout of the flu. She figured it was why he missed class on Friday.

"Good morning, (Y/N)," he greeted kindly. He didn't sound too tired, despite how he looked. She was glad for it; perhaps it meant he'd be back in class by tomorrow.

"'Morning, Professor," she said.

"What are you up to?"

"Nothing," she answered honestly. But she had gotten used to people expecting the worst of her, and had come off a bit defensive.

Professor Lupin only smiled. "Then it wouldn't be too much trouble asking you to come inside?"

(Y/N) blinked in surprise. "Oh, um..."

"It's nothing bad," he assured her, stepping back to hold open the door. "Just wanted a chat,"

She liked Lupin a great deal, and while he certainly wasn't Lockhart or Quirrell, (Y/N) couldn't help but feel a bit wary about spending time alone with him. But Harry had done it, she reminded herself, and got out unscathed. He even got the chance to talk about his parents. And (Y/N) figured that if Professor Lupin was friends with Lily and James Potter, he had to be an alright bloke.

"Sure," she followed him into the classroom.

It felt strange without the others around. She had heard Lavender and Parvati talking about their time with Trelawney, and ever since the year began, Hermione often disappeared to talk to McGonagall. But no professor had ever shown a particular interest in (Y/N).

"Can I get you anything?" Lupin asked. "Tea, chocolate?"

"Chocolate?" (Y/N) questioned.

He smiled, almost as though he were expecting her surprise. "I always kept a good stash of chocolate for my friends at school. Have you ever had a Mars Bar?"

She shook her head. (Y/N) hadn't ever had any sort of Muggle candy, but she wouldn't admit that then.

Professor Lupin only opened up a drawer and passed one along to her. "It's got caramel and nougat filling," he said. "Maybe one of my favorites. I'll pour some tea,"

(Y/N) took the chocolate, muttering a "Thanks," as Lupin rose from his chair. She was afraid to eat it without having tea to wash it down, especially if it was a chocolate bar he was rather fond of. She didn't want to hurt his feelings in case she didn't like it.

"I heard you were giving Professor Snape a hard time on Friday."

He gave us a hard time, she wanted to say. But she couldn't tell if he was was going to congratulate or scold her, so instead she said nothing.