We'll See You Again

(Y/N), Hermione, and Ron had just escaped the third-floor corridors when they had to go their separate ways. Hermione took Ron first thing to the hospital wing while (Y/N) went to the owlery, just as Harry advised. However, she didn't need to go that far, for she met Dumbledore at the entrance hall.

"Professor Dumbledore!" She called, struggling to catch her breath. "Harry--"

"He's gone after him, hasn't he?"

And before (Y/N) could confirm, or even question what he'd said, Dumbledore rushed off towards the third floor.

She thought of following after him, but (Y/N) knew that she shouldn't. So instead, she went back to the hospital wing, where Ron was just starting to wake. (Y/N) filled him and Hermione in on what she and Harry found and told them about her run-in with their headmaster. By the time she finished everything, Dumbledore was already coming to the hospital wing, with poor Harry, who was knocked out cold.

"Harry!" Hermione cried.

She and (Y/N) rushed to his bedside, and even Ron darted to his side to see.

Harry's face was riddled with cuts that weren't there when they said goodbye. (Y/N) had hundreds of questions, but one jumped from her mouth before she could stop it. "Will he be alright?"

Dumbledore smiled and his eyes crinkled behind his golden half-moon glasses. "I'm sure he will be. After all, Madam Pomfrey is well seasoned in her craft. And, with friends like you looking out for him," His eyes fell warmly on the three first years. "I'm sure it's only a matter of time."

"But, Professor," Said Hermione. "What happened down in that corridor?"

And so, Dumbledore explained how Harry bravely faced the professor behind the door, who was Quirrell, of all people. Harry managed to recover and protect the Philosopher's Stone, not just from Professor Quirrell, but from Lord Voldemort himself. By the time Dumbledore arrived, he said, there was nothing left of their Defense Against the Dark Arts professor but his robes, there were no traces left of the Dark Lord, and Harry lay unconscious, but ultimately unharmed.

"Wow," (Y/N) whispered.

"So, you mean to say, after all that, it was Quirrell?" Ron questioned. "We thought it was Snape!"

"What will happen to the stone?" Asked Hermione.

"The stone has been destroyed."

"Destroyed?" (Y/N) repeated. "But what does that mean for Nicolas Flamel? And his wife? They'll die won't they?"

"They have enough Elixir to set their affairs in order, but yes," Dumbledore nodded. "They will die."

(Y/N) didn't know how he could speak about it so casually. She thought it was awful. After all, they had no part in the happenings of that year, so why did they have to be punished for it?

Dumbledore smiled at the astonishment on the first year's faces. "I'm sure for someone as young as you, it seems incredible, but for Nicolas and Perenelle, it really is like going to bed after a very, very long day. After all," He clasped an assuring hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder, gazing at her with his kind eyes. "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

"Now," Dumbledore continued. "If I'm not mistaken, I believe a wonderful breakfast has been put together to celebrate your finishing of end of the year exams."

"Is that what I smell?" Ron grinned. "I thought I was only imagining it."

(Y/N) was starving, herself, but even as Hermione and Ron started toward the door, the idea of a feast on their minds, she hesitated.