Chapter 37

"What are you talking about?" I whisper, even though I know it's a stupid question.

I know exactly what's he's talking about, but I don't know what this means. Why now? What is my great grandfather trying to achieve here? What, does he want world domination from the grave?

My father was trembling, so he decides to sit down, his face filled with stress. He looks to have aged at least ten years.

It makes me even feel more guilty, like it's somehow my fault. My father's been put under so much stress these last couple of months, I actually fear for his health. For my whole family's health, in fact...

Maybe... we really weren't ready for this. We weren't ready to come back to the public. And now with this whole great grandfather business, we're even more unprepared.

"I couldn't really... understand him. He sounded as though he was stuck underwater. He said something about me betraying him, about betraying you... He said something about coming back to make everything right again. I have no clue what he's talking about, but the fact that he's talking to me makes me... Well, it makes me a bit afraid."

I frown. "Do you think he's just trying to scare us?"

My father glances at me with tired eyes. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it's impossible for the dead to come back to life. Do you think he's trying to make our lives miserable by filling us up with doubts and fears? Isn't that what he used to do?"

My father hesitates, looking a bit skeptical. "Yes, he would scare us occasionally just for fun when we were younger... But even if it is impossible for him to come back to life, it is possible for him to get stronger in the other world."

I purse my lips, knowing he's right. The more a person stays dead in the realm that is between peace and hell, like many of the ghosts at school, they will only collect more and more energy that makes them stronger.

I don't believe my great grandfather can use his abilities now that he's dead, but he can gain new ones.

But my great grandfather has only been dead for around twenty years. It could take centuries for him to get enough power to show himself to us, or to even reach the level of a poltergeist. We'll be long dead before he can do that.

Maybe he wants to meet us in the underworld? I don't know. But what I do know is he is not a threat to us. Not yet at least. Perhaps maybe even ever.

"I don't think you need to worry about it, dad," I whisper, making him sigh and scratch at his forehead.

"Well, I'm gonna worry about it. He hasn't talked to you has he?"

I hesitate. "... No."

My father glances at me, eyes going wide with a mix of fear and rage. "Charlie, why do you keep trying to lie to me? You know I see right through those."

I sigh, walking around the kitchen table to sit down next to him. "Only briefly. He wasn't able to do anything."

"That doesn't matter! He could-"

"Papa."

He shuts his mouth.

"I want you to listen to me."

"..."

"I'm okay."

He stares, and I can tell he doesn't really know what to say.

"Really. I'm fine. I'm not traumatized, and I'm not scared. Sure, I was a bit shaken up when I heard his voice, but trust me when I say I feel safe, and I'm going to be okay."