Chapter 4

After spending thirty minutes trying to figure out how use this phone thing, my mother comes into the doorway, looking as beautiful as ever in one of her vintage dresses. Not too fancy, but not too casual as well. She's holding a laundry basket, hair tied in a braided bun on top of her head.

She gives me a look. "Love, you are not wearing jeans and a t-shirt when the neighbors get here."

I groan immediately, dropping the phone on the bed and rolling onto my back. "I don't want toooooo~"

"Want to what? Change? Cause that better not be what you mean."

I give her an innocent smile, blinking. "Of course not my lovely mother that i love so much. I'll change."

"Mmhmm..." She gives me a secret smile, walking down the hall the rest of the way where the laundry machines are.

Once she's out of sight, my smile drops and i sigh loudly, rolling my eyes. I turn over onto my stomach, smelling lasagna which makes my stomach rumble. I tilt my head, jerking it to the right and making my bedroom door shut closed.

I look over to my closet, jerking my head again and making the door open. I snap my fingers, a white button down shirt with black jeans rip off the clothing hangers, landing on my bed and i sigh again. I stare at my clothes for a second, an idea coming into my head and i raise an eyebrow, smirking.

Well she does want me to look nice...
                              ***
I look at myself in the mirror, humming in appreciation. I'm going a little over the top, on purpose of course, with my white button down, black jeans and a blazer that hangs open. And to make my clothes all fit together, i wear black fluffy socks.

I grin at my toes, wiggling them and hearing pots and pans clinking from downstairs. I straighten out, flattening my hair and sticking out my chin over-confidently, making my sunglasses float onto my nose as i stride out of my room and down the stairs towards the kitchen.

In the kitchen, my mother is setting down plates she unpacked with the help of my father who floats wine glasses and cups onto the table, as well as finishing up the lasagna. And oh lord, he added his famous macaroni and cheese, with extra cheese, and a salad with the addition of mashed potatoes and green beans.

I'm drooling. He knows how much i like mashed potatoes.

I shake myself out of the daze, fixing my posture and walking into the kitchen. "Good evening mother, father." I nod at them both as they both turn to look at me.

My dads mouth drops and my mothers eyes widen. My dad whistles.

"You have requested that i look nice, have i fulfilled that request?"

My mother gives me a look, straightening and coming around to me. "I said to dress nicely." She yanks off the blazer with a playful look in her eyes. "Not like a pimp." She yanks the sunglasses off as well and my dad bursts out laughing.

"What are you talking about, Mary? My baby was looking good in a blazer."

I shrug selfishly, still playing the act as i yank on my collar. My mother gives me a droll stare, smacking me in the face with a towel that makes me laugh as she walks around the table to grab the bread.

"Help me with the silverware you jokester, then we'll talk about the blazer."

I perk up at that, nodding as i go around the table with my mother, setting down silverware and feeling better then i had this morning and afternoon.
                             ***
I'm setting down the chips and sauces on the counter when the doorbell rings. I lift my head, turning to my parents who are busy trying to choose which wine to use.