Chapter 21

September 22nd, 2017

"I want you to touch this photograph," my dad demands as he brings out an old dusty photo of him and his mother towards me.

We're in the attic, all of our belongings that have long been used being held up here. Some of my old toys and books are here, along with some of my mothers nick-knacks and old vintage jewelry and old dresses. My dad has old cupboards with ancient looking locks on them, as well as treasure chest looking boxes that are also chained up tight.

I was never allowed to look inside them, but I hoped as I got older I would be able to take a peek at at least something.

But now, he opens a drawer that's filled with old photos. He holds the one in his hand up to me with a straight face. "And I want you to look for something."

I tilt my head, eyebrows furrowing. "Look for something?"

"Well you can move around when you jump from photo to photo can't you?"

"Well... Yes. I've never tried to look for something before. I've never opened boxes or opened doors before either. I haven't tested this new ability, dad."

"Well now is the time to test it. Your grandmother had an old calendar back when I was still living in New York. We had a tiny house in the middle of farmlands. I want you to tell me the exact date this picture was taken."

"Why? Is the date important?"

"No, not really. I just want to know the extent of your new ability. Look for it, then i'll know how precise these visions get."

I hesitate, biting my lower lip. It makes sense, really. It's important to take notes on whatever new ability I grow in my system, to know the roots so when I begin practicing I know how to control it.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to look around an old photo for a calendar.

I nod my head and my father smiles, urging me to take the photo and I slowly hold it in my hands.

I'm all of sudden taken into the photo, standing behind my grandfather just when he snaps the photo of my dad and my grandmother. They sit on a rock in the middle of tall stalks of corn, my dad in adorable overalls as his siblings scream in the distant, a dog barking.

The wind wasn't very strong but the corn moves lightly, the sun high in the sky signaling that it's noon.

I turn my body around, looking out towards the distance where an old house sits.

"See? Now that wasn't so bad after all!"

I glance back around to where my grandmother pats my dad's legs before setting him down on the ground. My dad's smile is replaced with a frown, his arms crossing as he pouts.

"I don't like pictures!"

"Well I don't like whiny kids, I guess we can't all get what we want. And besides, you're going to thank me for the memories later."

My dad huffs, white skin tinged pink and I smile lightly.

"Get them all back inside, honey. They'll get sunburned," my grandfather commands as he sets the camera away, my grandmother grunting as she gets up taking my dad's hand.

"Yeah, yeah alright..." She turns to where my aunt and uncle are running around an apple tree, the dog chasing after them.

"Hey! You kids get your butts back inside! I know for a fact you didn't put on any sunscreen like I told you too!"

My aunt and uncle stop running, the dog panting beside them as my aunt raises her hand, an apple dropping at her command to land in her palm.

They both giggle, beginning to run towards my grandparents, which is the same direction the house sits and my grandparents smack their behinds. "Go on, git! You both are in trouble."