Chapter 11

My father soon after his small anxiety attack, decided it would be best if he went back to his room. I agreed after he told me to stay in here, and not let anyone but my mother in.

I hesitated before agreeing, and now that he's left, i decide to settle down on my stomach, opening a book and dimming the lights while setting my irritating glasses on my nose.

I'm just beginning to relax when my door knocks. I hesitate, tilting my head as i settle on my elbows.

"Who is it?" I ask hesitantly.

"Corbin."

I brighten instantly, using my abilities to open the door for him, and when he sees this, his eyes widen with awe.

"It's so different seeing you do that right in front of me." He slowly walks in, looking around my room as the door closes behind him.

I stay silent, letting him walk around until he gets to the pictures on my dresser. He stops, picking one up with a small smile and i sit up, closing my book and setting it aside.

"What picture are you looking at?" I ask lightly and Corbin turns, keeping his eyes on the picture as he walks over to sit at the edge of my bed.

He sets the picture down and i smile at it, remembering the story my father told me about it.

Both of my parents are standing on the front porch of the log cabin, my father just finishing it, and in the nick of time he tells me. For i was born a couple days after it was completely done. This is shown by both of my parents smiles, my father holding me in the blue bundle of blankets, the sun high in the sky.

"My dad just finished making the log cabin," I explain and Corbin blinks.

"He made it?"

"Built it from scratch. He was determined to keep me completely safe. He knew i was coming, and he wanted my first years of life to be free of stress, and only love."

Corbin's smile falters, and he glances at me and i keep my gaze to the picture. "You moved here a couple months ago right?" I nod once. "How are you taking things?"

I hesitate, my smile completely gone as i stare down at the picture. "I'm not sure. Sometimes it's wonderful, and other times it feels like... i'm not supposed to be here. Things feel wrong. And people aren't like i thought they would be..."

"What do you mean?"

"Well i knew that there would be some... mean people, i guess. But that's not what's really bothering me... i think."

"What is bothering you then?"

"I don't know, maybe the atmosphere? It's not very welcoming, with all these norms that people say i have to follow."

Corbin's eyebrows furrow and a frown comes over his face. "Yeah, i've definitely heard about those kinds of things. Have you talked to your parents about it?"

"Of course i have... but all i have to do is deal with it i guess."

I shrug, blinking slowly and Corbin's eyes fill with concern. "Well it's only the first month of school, Charlie. Try to do things that make your experience a little more enjoyable. Like clubs, or musicals even."

I tilt my head, sighing. "Yeah, i guess i could try for things like that."

"Charlie, you can't just say things like that. 'I guess i could try this', 'it wouldn't hurt to do this.' You need to live, not survive."

I raise an eyebrow at that. "I haven't met anybody in my family that actually enjoyed high school."

Corbin grins at that, chuckling. "You're right there. I haven't met anybody who has either. But it's... different for you. This is all right in your face."