Chapter 23

I didn't think homecoming night would be so dangerous...
***
The loud volume of the music blasting from the speakers as we all walked into the gym wasn't too deafening, but the thumps of the bass still annoyed me as my friends look around the dark gym in confusion.

"Why are the lights off?" Adler asks suddenly, making me turn to glance at him with a curious look.

"What do you mean? Aren't they supposed to be off?"

"Well not necessarily. You can't even see what's in front of you!" Angel comments next to us, and someone bumps into my shoulder, making me flinch as the students giggle and laugh as they try to find their way through the darkness, making me fidget uncomfortably.

"I bet something blew a fuse. They're using a lot of power tonight," Ally says next to me, grabbing my hand as I glance up towards the ceiling, where lights should be hanging.

"Well this isn't any fun. I bought this suit to be seen and complimented," Angel grumbles, making me grin and roll my eyes.

"I think this is a new experience for all of us. I love the dark," Cora comments and Adler scoffs.

"Well that isn't too surprising now is it? OW!"

I twitch my eye, and the lights flicker on, the large jumping crowd in the middle of the gym floor suddenly cheering, flying into one another and I step back.

"Is that what you all call dancing?" I ask nervously, making Ally giggle.

"Jumping is the new dancing, Charles. Come on, let's join them, it'll be fun!"

I shake my head, protesting against Ally's pull on my arm, swallowing a large golf ball in my throat and Angel sets a hand on Ally's arm.

"You three go and dance. I'll show Charlie to the snacks."

Ally pouts, but when I don't budge, she sighs and nods, taking Cora and Adler and skipping to the dance crowd and I sigh in relief, Angel grinning as he stands beside me, albeit a little uncomfortably.

"Come on, i'll show you to the snacks."

I smile tensely back, silently nodding and following him closely to a long table with a cheap drape over it, filled with cookies and a large bowl of punch with sodas and waters.

Angel and I haven't even talked until now. Ever since the whole bedroom incident, we've been uncomfortable around each other, which is making me furious. It was just in the mood of things, and we were excited about the dance. There were no feelings involved with... whatever happened in Angel's bedroom. I don't even know how we got to be that close, and it's not like anything really happened. Why is it letting him get this way?

I bite my lip, watching as Angel takes a cookie. "Angel—"

"You like chocolate right? Here, these cookies are usually the best."

He hands me a chocolate chip cookie a little clumsily and I sigh, taking it and biting into the soft dough before letting whatever happened between us go. Angel obviously wants to pretend it never happened, and i'll make him comfortable in doing the same.

I twitch when I feel the back of my neck hairs rise, and I slowly turn my gaze to where the cheerleader captains dance with their eyes on me. Crap.

Hopefully they're to into showing themselves off that they'll leave me alone for a while.

"You good?"  Angel asks and I turn back around to give another tense smile.

"Yep. Let's go sit and eat these snacks," I say quickly, grabbing his arm and pulling him towards the tables that are set around the gym and sit him down next to me.