Chapter 5

"I didn't know anybody could act the way his parents acted today."

"I know, babydoll. But sometimes, people will disappoint you."

I frown as i lay in my bed, covers pulled up to my chin as my dad sits in front of me. "Papa, i don't get it. Angel is so nice and funny. He's nothing like his parents."

My father grins at that, patting my stomach over the covers lovingly. "Sometimes children don't act like their parents. They have their own brain, babydoll. Everybody makes their own choices, and Angel seems to have a pretty level head on his shoulders. What he thinks is right could be completely different from his parents think is right."

"Like his parents' opinions about us?"

My dad's eyes darken but he nods gloomily. My frown deepens for that is not the answer i'm looking for, and that instantly seems to brighten my fathers mood.

He chuckles at my look, but it's strained. "You're going to find people that have a problem with the way you look, Charlie," he states to me, making my frown deepen even more if that's even possible.

"Why?"

My dad hesitates, like he doesn't have an answer to that question, which shocks me, because my best friend knows everything.

Not wanting to put a complete damper to both of our moods, i change the subject, stowing the conversation in my brain for later use.

I smile at my father. "Papa, you're my best friend. Did i ever tell you that?" I ask, tilting my head and my dad stares at me.

Emotion is clear in his eyes and he smiles back at me after a moment. He leans down, pulling the covers away to wrap me in his arms and i wrap mine over his neck.

"You're my best friend too..." He mumbles, squeezing me and making my smile widen and he presses a kiss to my forehead before sitting back up and pulling the covers back over me. "And your mother thinks so too," he adds, making my smile turn teasing.

"Really?"

My dad raises an eyebrow in shock. "Ohhh yes. When she's talking to Aunt Raia, and i mean really getting into the conversation, she calls you her best friend more times than her son." I chuckle at that before yawning, and my father ruffles my hair. "You have something you want to ask me," he reads from me, making me glare at him and he grins wickedly. "What? I was curious."

I roll my eyes, turning onto my side to where i'm facing him. "Can i go to Angel's tomorrow after school? He lives right in front of us he said, and his parents don't get home until midnight. I want to see his rollercoaster."

My dad's smile turns gentle and he bites the inside of his cheek. "Yeah, you can over there tomorrow. Did you find a way to contact him?"

I point over to my phone that sits charging on the bedside table. "Yep. He gave me his number including Ally, Cora and Adlers."

My dad nods sharply. "Alright general, you're all set," he tells me, standing and setting his hands on his hips. "I'm glad you're feeling up to school tomorrow. You excited?"

I shrug. "Don't know yet. Maybe i am right now, but i won't be when i get up tomorrow morning."

My dad chuckles at that, reaching over and turning off the lamp and i get comfortable, my father laying a kiss on my cheek again. "I don't want to see you up at two in the morning, yeah?"

I smile, hiding it under the covers and my dad ruffles my hair before walking towards the bedroom door. "Goodnight, Charlie."

"Night..."