2

|She was a child that was forced to grow up|

Mila helped Annalise zip up her dress and slowly made her sit down in her wheelchair. Pushing the wheelchair towards the large mirror which was on the wall, she stood behind Lise with a beautiful smile.

Annalise looked at herself and blinked. Blinked again trying to see if her eyes were betraying her. She looked absolutely gorgeous. Mila was into makeup and she made sure to doll her niece up so beautifully. The dress fit her like one large glove, hugging her body and accentuating her tiny breasts. Light coloured eyeshadow and her cheekbones were highlighted and a nude lipstick was applied to her full and pouty lips. Her hair cascaded down her shoulder in loose curls.

"You look amazingggg." Mila squealed dragging the 'g'.

"Thanks," Annalise whispered as she looked down shyly before shifting her eyes back to the mirror but this time looking up at Mila.

"Are they here yet?" Annalise asked and Mila shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.

Mila excused herself and walked out saying her sister needed help and to make sure everything was all fine before they arrive.

Annalise breathed in, in sheer nervousness. She was going to be seeing her fiancé for the very first time. She knew he was well older than her. Almost four years and he worked in his father's small textile business. Mr. and Mrs. Jamison, Peter's parents were very strict and no-nonsense kind of people. In fact, they were the most boring and uptight people Annalise had ever met. She was just hoping that Peter wasn't like them.

She knew every other teen her age was filling out college applications and enjoying their fall break partying and going on road trips and yet here she was sitting in a beautiful blue dress and all dolled up to be betrothed.

She so wanted to study. She always had a keen interest in Commercial arts and did want to pursue her career in that field but she just couldn't afford the college expenses. Her scores were pretty average, nothing that could get her a college scholarship. A community college or state college could have been great but when her mother proposed to her the marriage, and she didn't have it her to say no.

Annalise had one problem. The biggest of all, she couldn't muster up the courage and say a firm no. Her soft heart didn't have it to break someone's heart or disappoint them. She has always been like this. And one time she tried saying no, she was more heartbroken than the person she disappointed. She has always given up her happiness to make others happy and this one thing now landed her here.

She wondered what would have happened if she rejected this offer. But again, she and her conscience knew that she would never say no to anyone. She sought her happiness in others.

But it was better this way. Who would actually fall in love with someone like her? A cripple? She was glad that Peter's family was accepting her and agreeing to marry their son to someone like her. Someone who was looked down upon and someone who people gave little to no respect and help. The only reason was, she didn't have to ability to support herself on her legs.

Since the time she was little, she had endured all sorts of taunts and displeasures of people around her. But she learned to live with it. People often say that specially-abled people like her should be given respect, jobs, and whatnot, but that was only said not done. She was one of the unfortunate victims of disability discrimination. And it still happened despite the modern era.

She heard the door open and a few muffled voices. She was so lost in her own thoughts that she didn't even hear the ring of the bell.

She wheeled herself to the door of her room and tried to hear what they were speaking. She knew they had arrived. There was no going back now.