Chapter 25

That pig-headed, stubborn, stupid, tall, gorgeous man. I hate him. I hate what he does to me. I hate how he makes me feel. I hate the game we are playing but it's more like exhilarating every time. I want to stop but I needed to keep going.

"No," I growled.

His hand was on the doorknob. He tensed. "What was that?"

"I said no," I started towards him. He spun around to face me. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing. But he couldn't leave yet.

We were nose to nose, staring each other down. No one said a word, instead he smirked and tried to turn away to leave again. I electrified the doorknob, shocking him. He hissed and ripped his hand away.

"I... I said no," I whispered. Pathetic. "You stole my book."

"Yes. I did." He chuckled darkly. "And you lied about who and what you are! As your mate, I deserve to know!"

"You deserve nothing! I owe you nothing." I spat. Venom laced through my voice. Ben's head whipped to face me in shock. "Must I remind you of what you wanted?"

He growled, "I thought we were over this!"

"Are we?"

"Clearly not." He ran a hand down his face. "You aren't ready, Ophelia. That's it."

"So, you want to fool around but not too much. You want me to go out with your best friend but have a problem with the idea of anyone besides you touching me. You aren't my mate but you are when it comes to certain things. You're a little twisted, don't you think?" He looked away, unable to meet my gaze. "I'm only worthy when you feel like it."

"You're wrong. It's the other way around."

"What?"

His eyes met mine once again. "It's me who isn't worthy. You deserve more. You're literally kind of a goddess? And I'm a couple hundred year old asshole. You're standards are a little low if you think I can give you what you need."

This was... different. "Maybe it's not about what I need. It's what I want." My voice was nearly a whisper. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Your secrets are safe with me, by the way."  His eyes opened and they were stone cold. He was avoiding everything. "I won't say anything."

Ben turned. His hand hesitated on the door, maybe waiting for me to shock him or tell him no, but he slowly turned it. Moments later he was gone and I was still standing there staring where he once stood.

We just keep going in circles. Maybe it's just time to move on.