Chapter 6

"Peach or Pineapple?"

I thought about it before replying, "Peach!" Elliot rolled his eyes.

"Basic. So I have something to tell you!" He practically jumped out of his seat as if he was excited, yet his face suddenly turned serious as he leaned forward. "There was another one," he whispered to me across the picnic table in the courtyard on campus.

My eyes widened and I leaned in as well. "What happened? What did you do?"

"Same as you, I had to kill him. He wouldn't stop attacking so I had to. But just like the other one, he was rabid. He even... drooled. It was disgusting and unnatural." He shivered.

"How are they getting in unnoticed?" I growled and scrunched up my face. "No supernatural-being is able to get past the spelled border without me knowing!"

Elliot pouted and pat my shoulder sympathetically, "Maybe the spell was flawed, honey."

"My spells are never flawed, Elliot. I make sure of it and you know it." I snapped, frustrated at the present and possible danger. Getting off the bench, I turned around and headed towards my next class. I noticed how while there was usually students headed towards the building, no one was.

I looked around. The outside surrounding campus was empty. Besides a few police cars parked on the side. I ran up to the psych department building and noticed yellow police tape and a paper taped to the door.

Due to a recent accident on campus at 11:45 a.m on December 12th, classes are hereby cancelled and postponed until further notice.
- Dean DeAngelis and Ivy Hollow P. D.

The wind blew across my face, sending the iron-like scent through my nose. In lightning speed, I appeared inside the sealed off building. I followed the smell, heading towards a familiar classroom. The door frame was crossed off by more yellow tape but it didn't hide what was going on inside the room. Police gathered around the room with the Dean of the university. Dean DeAngelis looked as if he were going to pass out as he looked down at the body of my psychology professor. "Sir, I suggest starting the winter break early for these students. There have been two attacks on your campus as of now. We're starting to suspect that this isn't an animal situation we're dealing with," the chief of police informed.

"What could maul a person like that besides a rabid animal?" The Dean freaked out, holding a handkerchief to his face.

The chief frowned, "A very messed up person, that's who." Boy were they wrong.

I transported myself back outside and started walking as fast as I could. "Hey! Ophelia! Wait up!" A girls voice called.

I spun around, seeing Elizabeth, Casper and Benjamin walking towards me. Two of them were pleasant about it; I'll let you figured out who. "Uh... Hey, what are you guys doing here?"

Elizabeth giggled, "We go here, silly!" She twirled a piece of my hair. "Casper was all for it, but Benny-boy needed more convincing."

"Oh!" I nervously laughed. "I-uh... I'm sorry, I probably seem really rude right now but there was an attack and I have to..." I looked at Elizabeth for help.

"An attack?" She gasped. "Like the one a few weeks ago? What could be doing it?"

"Vampires." Elliot appeared beside me. "I just got the one who killed Professor Brown. Another rabid, just like the other two," he said, more to me than the rest.

Casper stepped forward, looking innocently confused. Benjamin however looked lost in thought, staring directly at me. "Vampires? That makes no sense! The only vampires here are our clan and we make sure that no one kills. We have a 'you kill a human, we kill you' policy that we live by."

"Damn, that's rough," Elliot whispered.

Benjamin crossed his arms, "What did you mean by rabid?"

"Hey! You kids! You shouldn't be here, go home!" An officer came out of the psych building and scolded us. We apologized and started to walk together.

Elizabeth was the one to cheerfully suggest meeting up somewhere. "How about we go to that new place in town! It's called The Willow and I heard they had great food!"

I hesitated but Elliot and Casper agreed, leaving Benjamin and I the silent majority. Elizabeth took that as a sign and took it upon herself to assign rides. "Casper, me, and this cutie," she winked at Elliot, "will take my car. Benny and Ophelia can take hers."

"Why-" Casper started but was yanked by the ear and dragged by the black haired beauty. "Okay! Okay!"

Elliot's eyes widened and he immediately ran after the two, not wanting to mess with Elizabeth. Benjamin and I just stood there. He had his hands in his pockets with a lost look in his eyes and his jaw dropped. Without a word, I began to walk towards my car. He followed, glaring at my back the entire time.

Once inside the warmth of my dear old 1961 bug, Benjamin buckled his seat belt and growled. "Is there a problem?" I asked.

"Certainly not," he smirked. He reached up, turning on the radio and chuckled as old twenties music came on mid-song. "Fan of the oldies, eh?" I shrugged and pulled out of the parking spot. From the corner of my eye, I could see him watching me.

I wiggled in my seat under his gaze, starting to feel uncomfortable. "What? Why are you staring?" I snapped.

He watched me for a moment longer before answering my question with a question. "Casper seems to be infatuated by you." I blushed. Benjamin's hand reached up, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. His cold touch lingered, slowly trailing down my neck and shoulder until he pulled away. At a red light, he inched towards me, "It's a shame really." I nudged him with my shoulder, pushing him back a little bit. As the light turned green, I floored the gas and the car leaped forward, causing Benjamin to hit his head on the side of the car seat. I giggled quietly as he rubbed his temple grumpily. He would've looked adorable if I hadn't disliked him.

I parallel parked on the street in front of The Willow and got out of the car. Benjamin followed suit and pulled me aside. He pulled me by the wrist into the dark alley, yet his hand felt as if it was barely touching my skin. He pushed me against the cold brick wall and held me there. "You will stop talking to Casper, do you understand me?" 

"What? No!" I struggled to get out of his grasp using a human amount of strength. 

His face hovered over my own.  "He cannot have what is rightfully mine!" He snarled.

Using werewolf strength was still a struggle against him, he was strangely strong. I managed to push him back a little so that I can look up to see him without our faces touching. "I do not belong to someone who refuses to reciprocate feelings. I will never sit around and wait for a man to love me when the only person he will ever be able to love is himself!" With more power, I shoved him away and slipped past him. Leaving him stunned and speechless, I made my way into The Willow and waited for Elizabeth, Casper and Elliot to show up.