Chapter 3

Without a word, Elliot dragged me out of our final class and towards my car. "El! What's going on!" He spun around with a big smile on his face.

"We are going to a party, doll. And it's a big one!" He shrieked. "Hurry! Get it, because I need to get you ready!"

I pulled my hand away, frustrated and tired. "Elliot, I'm exhausted. I desperately need a shower, I want to practice some spells, and let's not forget my encounter yesterday! I want to look more into that," I said, referring to the strange vampire. When I had told Elliot about the estranged vampire, he was shocked. He even laughed until he realized I wasn't joking.

Elliot groaned, "That's exactly why you need to get out, honey. You need some you time!"

"But-"

"And that doesn't mean sitting at home, alone, binge watching your favorite movies and shows," he cut me off, knowing exactly what I would have said. "C'mon! Please! For me?" He stuck out his bottom lip and pouted. He always uses the please, for me line, and of course, each time I comply. I caved in as usual, making Elliot prance with glee. He shoved me into the passenger seat of my own car and dove us to my house, where the torture began.

"El! I'm not wearing this!" I pulled the hem of the dress downwards, which only caused the top to go down and got me trying to pull that back up. Either way, it was not going to work out. I mumbled, "It's too short..."

"Get over it!" He yelled and tossed some black heals in my direction. As if my little black dress wasn't enough, he gave me five story tall heels. Surely, they weren't actually five stories high. But for a girl who inherited her mother's 5'4 height, those heals looked as if they belonged to a giant. As soon as I put them on, I fell flat on my face. Elliot ran in and gasped. "Oh my god! My masterpiece!" He lifted me off the floor as if I weighed nothing and dusted off my dress. "Can't have you ruining my work because of silly shoes, can we?" He glared at me. He took away the monsters and handed me heels that matched my style a little more.

Elliot was sporting his usual party outfit, complete with a vest and silky tie. "You look marvelous, El." I bat my lashes flirtatiously.

He leaned in close, our noses touching, and looked into my eyes with a smile. "And you look like a tramp! Let's go!" And both laughed at our playfulness and ran out the front door. Maybe Elliot was right. Maybe I did need to let loose and have a little fun.

Instead of driving to the party, we walked. We walked through the woods, into the darkness and cold. "Heels are not made for walking in snow!" I shivered.

"Shut up, we're almost there!" Elliot hushed. I could faintly hear the 'oomf' of the party music and a little bit of light. "I was actually surprised that there was a house out here! Who would have thought?"

'House' was and understatement. This house was more of a castle. I stared up in awe as we walked up the stairs to the front door. Elliot knocked, there was no answer. So he let himself in and pulled me along with him. As soon as we walked in, a blonde guy walked up with a goofy smile. "Hey, welcome! I was just about to open the door!" He stuck out his hand for us you shake. His scent was strange. Not woodsy and warm like a wolf, but minty and cold.

Elliot went first, "How kind!" He smirked, signifying that he was about to flirt with the poor guy. "You must be the hottie behind this amazing fiesta?"

The blonde chuckled awkwardly, "Nah, man. My name is Casper by the way!" As soon as I went to shake his hand, I felt the chilling cold aura. He was a vampire. "You guys are...?"

"I'm Elliot and this is my dear friend, Ophelia." Elliot motioned towards me.

"Ophelia?" Casper mused. "The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons. Be all my sins remember'd," he quoted the famous Hamlet.

I laughed, "Good my lord, How does your honour for this many a day?"

"Ah, a Shakespeare fan?" Casper looped his arm with mine and began walking me farther into the home. Elliot's jaw dropped as he followed us. "So dear Ophelia, would you care to dance?"

I glanced over my shoulder to Elliot before looking back into Casper's ice blue eyes. "Actually would you mind if I got a drink first?"

"Do you want me to get it for you? Scouts honor I won't do anything to it," he joked.

I nodded and thanked him. As he went off, I pulled Elliot to the side. "What?" He pouted.

"Casper is a vampire." His eyes widened. "Look around," I whispered in his ear. "Read everyone's energy. How many vampires are in this room?"

Elliot scanned it over and narrowed his eyes. "Nearly all of them..."

"I have returned, fair lady." Casper gleamed. "Now, may I have-"

"The jig is up!" Elliot hooted, pointing his index finger at Casper's face. "We know you're a vamp. What were your intentions, huh? Sucking us dry?"

I pushed Elliot back, "I'm sure that wasn't it, El. Calm down." Casper stood there frozen with wide eyes. "So what's the purpose of the party anyways?"

The vampire blinked a few times. "Our... leader is coming back after a long trip. He enjoys a good party now and then." I took his hand and shrugged. Dragging him to the dance floor, I vanished all awkward tension and replaced it with relief. "How'd you know?" He whispered in my ear as we danced.

I chuckled, "Well first of all, your scent was different."

"You're a..."

"Werewolf? Kinda, yeah." I giggled. "Don't worry, I'm not a cliche one. Definitely anything but that. I don't care if you are." He spun me around in circles, both of us laughing. 

That's when it happened. The front door opened and my heart burst. Sure, the room was filled with the fresh smell of the clan, but a singular scent stood out. It called to me, urging me to come forward. But I didn't. Instead, I watched my mate walk through the door with another girl attached to his lips. So I turned back around and continued to dance with Casper. That's it. That's all I could do.