Chapter 14

Eventually, I found my way back to the small beach house Elizabeth and I were staying at. Benjamin trailed not too far behind in silence after being hit with the wave. Elizabeth and Elliot sat on the porch, swinging in the white-roped hammock chairs. They made no effort to stop the conversation as I walked past them and into the house, but I was glad they got along so well.

"Ophelia! Don't forget our plans for tonight!" Elizabeth shouted from behind.

"Oh, no! You two are getting on a plane and going home!" Benjamin chimed in. Honestly, this wasn't my argument. I was tired, I was covered in salt water and sand, and I was frustrated. The two of them could fight it out.

I walked into my little room and closed the door behind me, sighing in relief. The sooner I took a shower and a nap the better.

The door slammed open, waking me up abruptly. It felt like I had only been asleep for ten minutes, but it had probably been longer. Elizabeth stood in my doorway with her arms crossed. "What do you think you're doing? Get up! Get ready!"

"I thought we were getting on a plane?" I groaned, covering my head with my pillows.

They were yanked away, letting the light shine into my eyes. "I convinced Benji to let us stay another day. Come on, you promised!" She pulled me up out of bed and guided me to the bathroom. "Go fix your face, you've got a bit of drool on your cheek." And with that, she shut the door behind me.

I looked at the outfit Eliza left out on the bed for me — a small black...cloth made of some shiny, stretchy plastic-like fabric. "Eliza!" I called. Elizabeth strolled in with a big smile on her face.

"Aw! You gave me a nickname!" Her eyes glanced down at the dress in my hands. "Why isn't that on?"

I tossed it at her, "What is it?"

She tossed it back, "A dress, dumbass. Now put it on!" She shoved me back into the bathroom and closed the door. "Hurry up!"

I quickly took off my clothes and tried to slither into the skin tight dress. "Elizabeth!! Why is it so tight! And why is it making all this noise?!"

She giggled from behind the door, "It's latex!"

"Well I hate—"

"No no no! Positivity only! Now hurry up!"  With one last aggressive tug, it slowly dragged up against my skin. I looked in the mirror. It wasn't me, the image I was looking at gothic Barbie. It hugged my body in places I usually hid under my comfortable clothing like jeans and a sweatshirt. Looking in the mirror, I couldn't help but feel slightly insecure of my body. My breasts were nearly popping over the top of the dress—pushed up and vivacious. My thighs had always been pretty wide, making the "hourglass figure", and my behind seemed bigger than usual. I wanted to cover up... but I also wanted to try something new.

I slowly stepped out of the bathroom, Elizabeth was no longer there. I struggled to bend down and grab the strapped heels left for me. "Elizabeth, the witch boy said you wanted to see me—" Benjamin stopped in the doorway, frozen. I gasped and immediately stood up straight dropping the heels and turning to face him. His eyes remained where my end once was. "I...uh," he couldn't meet my eyes. With a low growl from the back of his throat, he quickly turned and rushed away.

Elizabeth and I danced for hours. Elliot was hooking up with a man from the area while Ben was no where to be seen. I could feel him though, he wasn't far away. He was watching, moping in some corner probably. Elizabeth grabbed my hand and pulled me towards a group of people. They seemed to be our age—my age anyway. There were mostly guys but a few girls as well. They were all dancing and welcomed us into their little circle as soon as we danced our way into it. This one girl and I were dancing together, our bodies in close proximity. She gave me a flirty glance and I smiled back at her. A male friend of hers joined us, dancing against my back while the brunette in front me stepped closer.

I was zoning out, all I could think about was the bass blaring and the bodies pressed against mine. My heart was hammering against my chest as the guys head lowered to my ear, his breath tickling my neck. My eyes fluttered closed as he nipped above my left collar bone. Suddenly the girl's mouth was against my own, moving slowly but with excitement. Four hands were grasping my waist, rooting me to the spot as we swayed and moved to the music.

It was exciting yet scary, being sandwiched by strangers yet absolutely enjoying it. I felt high, like I had finally been freed from a dark musky room. But then suddenly I felt hurt, like I was experiencing a betrayal.

My eyes opened just before the man behind me was ripped away. The girl squeaked in shock and fled seconds after that. I didn't even have to look to know it was Benjamin.

It had been his hurt I had been feeling.

"What the f*ck do you think you are doing?" He snarled.

I snarled back, "Having fun! What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Looks like you were about to be lured into some orgy or something! Are you dumb? Are you actually dumb? These people are strangers! You don't know what they could do to you or where they've been!" He screamed, fuming. "You are my mate. You belong to me. You cannot go around f*cking whoever you please out of spite! You shouldn't have even been allowed out of the house looking like that!"

I stared at him, daring him to continue. When he didn't, I took the chance to calmly tell him off. "I belong to no one, especially you considering how many partners you've had since knowing we were bonded."

I stormed out of the crowded hut, the blaring bass drowning out the farther away I got. I walked and walked, not sure of where I was going. I followed the long winding sidewalk until it stopped and my feet touched the sand.

The water was calm and dark. It swayed, coming ashore with a gentle "whoosh," but it never crashed. The moon was bright and full, lighting up the sky and reflecting on the water. It was quiet, peaceful. I couldn't sense any magic for miles—a break from the vampires and the drama. I sat down in the sand, feeling the grains between my fingers. "I deserve one, just one night of happiness," I whispered.

"Yeah. You do," Benjamin said from behind me. I got up, dusting the sand off my behind and the back of my legs. I didn't even look at him, I just walked away. He followed in silence. He went further down the beach yet he said nothing.

"What, Benjamin! What do you want?" I screamed in frustration. "I just wanted to have a little bit of fun. You may not want me, but that doesn't mean no body else can have me! I just—"

His lips cut me off. His strong hands grabbed me by the waist and pulled me into him, chest to chest. I was in shock, I didn't know what to do. But then I reciprocated the kiss and my body felt electric. It sent so many emotions coursing through to my brain, but I didn't want it to end.

Then he pulled away.

He pulled away and looked me in the eyes with no sign of emotion. He left go of me and he turned and began to walk away. This was it. This, whatever this was, I couldn't let it keep happening.

"Ben," I called. He kept going. "Ben!" I shouted. This time, he stopped. He didn't face me, he said nothing. He just waited. "I want—no. I need you to stay away from me. I need for you to stay away from me and just let me be happy," I whimpered. It was a plea, I was at my weak point.

His head turned, but he still refused to look at me. "Okay."

"No!" I let out a single sob, my body was shaking in hurt and anger. "Promise me! Promise me, Ben!"

There was silence. For a second, I thought I could almost sense the feelings of regret and pain coming from him. But then there was nothing. "I promise."