Chapter 27

The snow had been falling since 3 am and blanketed the campus. I wasn't really equipped for such weather now that Elliot was dressing me. My outfit was more fashionable than practical and if I had been human I probably would've gotten frostbite 20 minutes ago.

Once I opened the door to the academic building I could hear "What Is Love" by Haddaway blasting out of one of the classrooms. As I got closer, I realized it was (of course) Uncle Frankie's class. Up on the board was written "What is love?" next to a really bad drawing of a garbage fire.

"Ophelia! Over here!" Elizabeth waved over.

I made my way through the row to find my seat while the rest of the students piled into the room with curiosity. "Hey, how's it going?" I asked Eliza. "You know what's going on?"

"Good and not a clue. He's definitely in the feels though." She pointed, drawing my attention to my uncle. He swayed and bopped to the music, standing on top of his desk. His tie was around his head like a bandanna and his shoes were removed , showing off his rainbow socks.

On the last note of the song, Frankie jumped off the desk and slid over to the podium. "Good morning, class! Are you all here?" He didn't even bother looking up and no one bothered to reply. "Good good.  I'm not counting today so I hope you are." The class chuckled. "Today, we are discussing the psychology of crushes and love. Anyone know the difference?"

Some dude raised his hand and started speaking. "A crush is a child's version of love. It doesn't last."

"Well that's kind of pessimistic!" Frankie laughed coldly. "You're not entirely wrong though. Crushes don't last, that part is right. They are a temporary infatuation based on something physical!" Frankie's eyes roamed the room. He stared menacingly into his students eyes. "Crushes make you ignore a person's faults! It can be toxic and messy, based purely on lust! Love, however, lasts. Not always forever, but it's long term. In love, you have trust. It takes time."

His eyes landed on me. "Miss Lakota. Tell me," he smirked, "Do you happen to be infatuated by someone?"

My face felt hot, "I–No!"

"Ha! You're reaction says otherwise! Everyone always has someone they're crushing on! It's human nature! How do you feel about this person though?"

"I literally am not–"

"This is now a quiz! If you don't answer, everyone gets a zero for today!" Frankie narrowed his eyes.

Eliza raised her hand while the rest of the class groaned and protested. "I can risk the zero." She glared at my uncle.

He glared back. "So, Ms. Lakota. What about them do you like?"

"I don't know," I answered. The class snorted at my response.

"Well are you attracted to them?"

"Yes."

"Do you think about them a lot? Like you can't get them out of your head?"

"Sometimes..."

Frankie smiled, "See class, that seems like it would fit under both crush and love. But if this person is all you think about, it is still ruled under infatuation. Before you love someone and you're in that puppy love phase, it is still a crush!"

"Do you like their personality?" Some girl piped up from the back.

"Yes! Class participation!" Frankie cheered. "Go on, Ophelia!"

"Um... sometimes?"

"What does that even mean?" She rebutted.

I sighed, "He's an ass. He's over confident, thinks he's always right. He's stubborn." I thought for a minute.