Chapter 5

Dressed in simple jeans and a flannel, much to Elliot's dismay, I went to Casper's party. With wolf speed, I got there in under a minute. Just like the last time, music poured out of the walls, disturbing the peaceful winter night. As I rang the doorbell, I could feel eyes on my back. "I know you're out there!" I called. No one answered. I stepped away from the door and turned around. There he stood, watching me intensely.

"Why are you here?" He snarled.

"Casper invited me," I answered calmly. I tilted my head in curiosity. "Why are you here?"

My mate scoffed, "I live here."

Rolling my eyes, I crossed my arms. "You know that's not what I meant." Suddenly, he was in my face, pushing my back up against the cold wooden door. I showed no intimidation and stared into his cold blue eyes. "Why are you here?"

"We've always lived here, doll. No one ever noticed," his eyes searched my face, squinting and widening. His head lowered to my neck, he inhaled deeply and growled. "You're supposed to be mine."

"Ditto, but that didn't stop you the other night. Did it?" I said almost jokingly, but deep down it hurt.

He smirked, showing his pearly white and perfect teeth. "I belong to no one. I do what I want."

I shrugged from underneath his six foot figured, "Then the same goes for me."

"That's where you are very wrong," he brought his lips up to my ear, brushing them against my skin. "You are for me to play with and me only." Play with? No no no.

I shoved him back, surprising him with my strength. "And that's where you're wrong. You don't control me!"

The door opened, making me trip. "Hey!" Casper greeted. "Oh hey!" He waved to my mate. "Have you guys met? Ophelia this is Benjamin, our alpha of sorts." He laughed at his own joke.

"It's nice to meet you," I said as politely as I could.

He smirked, "Give it time and it won't be." He strode forward and bumped shoulders with me, walking brought the front door.

Casper frowned and scratched the back of his head. "Sorry about him. He's really not much of a pleasant person, but he's my best friend."

I shrugged it off and walked into the house. "So what's the point of this party anyways?"

"It's Benjamin's sister's birthday," He laughed. "Usually vampires stop celebrating after their 60th birthday because it gets boring. But not Elizabeth. 316 today and she still acts like it's just a sweet sixteen." I laughed and followed Casper into the room with balloons and blasting music. "That's her, right there!" He pointed to a girl dancing on a stage wildly next to the DJ.

She was tall and flawless, resembling Snow White with black as night hair and skin as pale as snow. Completed with the apple red lips, she swayed and fell back onto a dancing crowd, who caught her effortlessly. "She looks nothing like Benjamin." I mumbled.

"That's because I'm not his real sister," a woman's voice popped out. Elizabeth strut out from the crowd and walked right up to us. "When I was fourteen, Benji found me, dying on the streets of Paris. He took care of me until I was eighteen, and at my request, turned me. He may not be my brother by blood, but he's my brother at heart."

I felt my own heart melt a little at her story, "Nice to meet you! I'm Ophelia! And happy birthday!"

She looked me up and down before grabbing me by the hand and pulling me away. "Casper, I'm stealing her!"

I could hear him laugh from behind me as Elizabeth pulled me up the stairs and into a room. She pulled me in and locked the door behind us. "So...spill." She deadpanned.

"What?"

"Spill! I can feel the power radiating off of you like mutant fresh out of a nuclear power plant. The rest of them might be dumb enough not to notice, but I'm not." She snickered.

I hesitated, reading her own energy and digging into her mind for her intentions. They were pure, simply curiosity, but she was trustworthy as well. "Well, I'm a wolf-"

"Duh!" She rolled her eyes jokingly.

"But I... I'm a descendant of Selene?" I finished, doubtful that she knew who she was.

She blinked at me, "So, what? Like, you're a stronger werewolf or something?"

I laughed, "I'm sort of like a demigod. I'm a werewolf, but I inherited my real mother's power." I rose my hand and focused on the center. In the palm of my hand, grew a light. A simple little ball of light that was neither hot or painful, just a light. "I can do everything a witch can do and more."

"You're the one that put the spell around the town, aren't you!" She gasped. "Vampires seeking refuge weren't able to cross the border to get to us!"

"Seeking refuge?" I asked.

Elizabeth nodded, "Yeah. Benjamin is, what you would call, like an alpha to us. He protects, controls, and fathers us in a way. He takes vampires in for the protection of a pack, clan, or what I call it, a family!"

"I'm sorry then. I put it up to protect the people from danger," I said apologetically. "It's supposed to keep anything with negative supernatural energy out."

She simply smiled and shrugged, "It's fine! We were running out of room anyways! We just sent them to a sister-house. It's were the rest of us stay. Besides, if they were negative, we don't want them." Someone knocked on the door and called for Elizabeth. "C'mon, let's go. By the way, I won't tell anyone."

"Good, thank you." I smiled as she walked out the door, walking past her brother. He looked into the room and noticed me standing there. "Benjamin," I said bluntly.

Then he stepped forward. The door slammed shut as he appeared in front of me with raging eyes. "Why are you still in my house?"

"I was invited," I squinted at him. "Why are you in my face?"

He laughed darkly, "You think this is me in your face? Not even close!" He stepped in. He was so close our chests were against each other, pushing with every deep pant. His forehead pressed against mine roughly, his eyes never leaving my own. "This isn't even the closest I can get." My heart fluttered but I forced myself to take a step back, only for Benjamin to grab my wrist in protest.

Twisting my wrist in his hand, I caught his own wrist and squeezed before successfully flipped him across the room. His back crashed against the bedroom door, shaking the walls. His eyes widened as I stepped back again, turning towards the window. The window was big and opened outwards on hinges, so I swung it open and straddled the windowsill before I noticed Benjamin getting off the floor and coming towards me. Just as I jumped, he dove forward but missed.

I wasn't going to land on the ground. I transported myself back to my apartment, in front of my balcony door, where I caught a glimpse of the castle-like mansion that I never noticed but was always in plain sight.