Chapter 12

I watched as Elizabeth strut across the sand without a care in the world, wishing I could be the same way. Hours after Elizabeth had packed her bags, I contacted Elliot, informed him of our spontaneous trip, and got on a plane to Fiji. I wiggled my toes in the warm sand, enjoying the heat rather than the snow. Guilt was rumbling in the pit of my stomach for leaving Elliot alone with possible rabids, and for my uncle, Casper, and even Benjamin. I knew Elliot could handle it, especially with the help of my uncle. But if the rabid's sickness was only effecting vampires, I feared for the clan's safety.

"Ophelia!" I was snapped out of my thoughts by Elizabeth, who was down by the water and glaring in my direction. "Stop giving yourself worrying-wrinkles. It's time to relax and have fun for once in your life!" Sighing, I made my way towards her. She kicked water at me as soon I was at a close enough distance and I was instantly brought into a new mind set. The water was warm and clear. I could see the small colorful fish that swam around my legs, nibbling at my ankles and toes. "I sure wish that tall friend of yours could have joined us. I bet he knows how to have a good time," Elizabeth smirked, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I chuckled, "Who? Elliot?" I stepped further into the water, the crystal liquid inching higher and higher up to my waist.

"Elliot," She purred. "He's the kind of person that should be here right now! Living life!" I shrugged, wishing my best friend was here too, but knowing that someone had to stay and protect the town.

I felt a numbness in the back of my mind briefly, making me rock off balance. "Ophelia? You okay?" Elizabeth looked at me in concern. I nodded, knowing something was about to happen. I closed my eyes and as soon as I opened them, I knew things were off. I was alone and clearly not in Fiji anymore.

I looked down at the water, the warm crystal blue turning cold and black. Looking up, a fog rolled in, blanketing the water. The blue sunny skies became grey and snow began to flurry down, picking up speed and becoming a blizzard. A murder of black crows flew overhead, adding a dark contrast as the wind whipped my hair across my face.

It wasn't real, I knew that. I was having a precognition, and it wasn't good. I could feel the cold surrounding my body, the water I stood in became solid ice, trapping me in the storm. Snow covered the ice, inching higher and higher, reaching my chest. And then it turned red. The snow failing from the sky turned into blood, raining down and mixing with the ground. The ice was gone now, replaced by the ocean of blood. I was covered in it, red tainted my vision as a dark figured slowly approached in the distance. I was now free from the ice but I wasn't going to move. I didn't want to, but a small amount of fear grew in the pit of my stomach. The closer the figure got, the more conflicted I felt. A mixture of emotions, betrayal, heartache, fear and an enormous amount of grief sent chills down my spine.

Breaking the macabre serenity, there was a scream. A nerve wracking scream filled with pain and agony. Then another just the same. And another; coming from all directions, surrounding me as the figure drew nearer. My breath quickened, panic rising in me higher than it ever has before. The screams became unbearable to listen to but my arms remained by my side, unable to reach my ears.  Just as the figure was almost near enough to recognize, a loud roar brought me out of my trance and back to the clear blue skies and warm crystal water.

"Ophelia!"

I gasped for air as my vision recovered and I grasped for the hand gripping my shoulder. Out of reflex, I grabbed the hand and threw the unknown person over my shoulder. They landed in the water in front of me. With me still holding onto their hand and them kneeling in front of me, I used my power to send a current of electricity through my body to theirs— shocking them. "Ophelia! Stop!" I heard Elizabeth yell in panic.

I looked behind me, my vision finally coming back. She stood with Elliot—wait! I spun around, gasping at a fuming Benjamin. "Oops..."

He stood up, towering over me. "Oops? That wasn't an accident!" His eyes were dark and stormy. "You were looking right at me moments before-before whatever that was!"

"She–" Elliot but in.

"I wasn't talking to the peanut gallery!" Benjamin yelled, glaring at my best friend.

I crossed my arms. "Well, I was going to apologize but now I'm thinking you deserved to be thrown."

His head whipped to face me in shock. "Excuse me?!" Rolling my eyes, I turned away from him and started walking back towards the shore. "Don't you turn away from me!"

I kept walking. I could see Elizabeth and Elliot giggling to themselves as I got up to them. "You should've seen his face! I've never seen him so... so... distressed? No! Flustered? Maybe? No! Shook!" Elizabeth gushed. "I should've taken a picture, it was iconic!"

Elliot smiled but then looked at me and the smile was gone. "What did you see, hun?"

"I'm not sure. I was feeling so many emotions. I believe we were back near campus, there was a lot of snow. And then it rained blood, a lot of blood." I felt a presence behind me that made a spark ignite in the bottom of my stomach, Benjamin. "Then there were screams, they were in pain and they were loud and I couldn't cover my ears. All I could do was look at the figure approaching me. And then I was brought back..."

"We need to talk, Ophelia." Benjamin hissed.

I scoffed, "How about... no?" Elizabeth squeaked as her hand flew up to cover her mouth in shock. Benjamin was in front of me in a flash. His eyes dark with emotion, his body tense.

Elizabeth swooped her arm through Elliot's and began to lead him away. "C'mon, cutie. I'll show you where we were staying."

My friends left me behind, leaving Benjamin towering over me on the beach. He smirked, assuming he had won. "Better start explaining, princess."