My first Quest Begins

Percy's POV:

          It didn't take long for me to pack, I decided to leave the Minotaur horn in my cabin. which left me only a change of clothes and a toothbrush to stuff in a backpack Grover had found for me. The camp store loaned me one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty gold drachma, coins roughly the size of Girl Scout cookies that had images of various Greek gods stamped on one side and the other with a depiction of the Empire State Building. I kept fiddling with one I found with Artemis on it, I'm unsure why it just felt right. After a while I put the coin in pocket Chiron says that ancient mortal drachmas had been silver, but the Olympians never use any less than pure gold. He also said that the coins might come in handy for non-mortal transactions. He also gave Annabeth and me each a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia squares, FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY. It was god food he reminded us too much and we would burn up. 

          Annabeth was brining her Yankees baseball cap, which was apparently a twelfth birthday present from her mother. She also brought a book on famous classical architecture, translated to ancient Greek, to read when she was bored. Finally she had a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. 

          Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human, he wore a green Rasta-style cap, because when wet his curly hair flattened and you could just make out the tips of his horns. His bright orange pack was full of scrap metal and apples for snacking and in his pocket was a set of reeds his papa goat had made for him. Though he only knew two song, Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 12 and Hillary Duff's "So Yesterday," both did not sound very good on reed pipes. 

          We had met at the Big House and waved goodbye to all of camp and began hiking up Half-blood hill to the pine tree. Chiron was waiting up there in his wheel chair with the man with a thousand eyes Argus I had realized. As well as the counselor of Apollo cabin, Lee Fletcher I believe, me and him have a bit of a rivalry well a one sided one at least. 

          "This is you could say your heading out party," Chiron began. "This is Argus he will be taking you into town to the bus depot, and Lee I believe has a gift for you Percy."

          "Thanks for the support Argus and Lee what's your gift," I asked Lee. 

          "Well it is more so a prize from my father for being a great archer," Lee began and pulled from his back a bow more perfect than I have ever seen and a quiver. "The bow I think you'll find is perfectly balanced for you and the quiver should refill with arrows shortly after being emptied." 

          "This is a gift he usually reserves for his cabins counselor," Chiron interjected and Lee nodded. "You should feel honored." 

          "Now for this," Chiron said handing me a pen. 

          "Thanks Chiron" I said confused since it looked like an ordinary thirty cent pen. 

          "Percy that is a gift from your father. I've kept it for years, not knowing you were who I was waiting for. But the prophecy is clear to me now, you are the one." He said. 

          Then I remembered the field trip to the museum when I vaporized Mrs. Dodds. Chiron threw me a pen that turned into a sword. Could it be . . .? I took the cap off and the pen grew longer and heavier  in my hand. In half a second I held a shimmering bronze sword with a double edged blade leather wrapped grip and a flat hilt riveted with gold studs. it was the first blade that felt truly balanced in my hand. 

          "This sword holds a long and tragic history that we need not get into, Though you probably already know it. As I recall you rather enjoyed reading old myths," he said. He was right as soon as I read the name of the blade 'Anaklusmos', Riptide the story came to mind with a slight tear dropping down my face. "Use it only in emergencies, and don't fret about losing it you can't." 

          After that up the hill ran Luke carrying a pair of basket ball shoes, "Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you." 

          Annabeth blushed, the way she always did around Luke. 

          "Just wanted to say good luck," he said. "And I thought . . . um, maybe you could use these." as he handed me the sneakers, which looked perfectly normal to me. "Maia!" he said and white wings sprouted out of the heels causing me to drop them. they flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared. 

          "Awesome!" Grover said next to me. 

          "Those served me well on my own quest" Luke said smiling. "Gift from Dad. Of course I don't use them much these days ..." his expression turned sad.

          I didn't know what to say, though we hadn't known each other for very long me and Luke had formed an almost brother like relationship from our days practicing sword play. It was touching that Luke had come to say good bye to say the least and on top of that he gave me a magical item as a gift. "Thanks Luke" I said.

          "Listen, Percy ..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot is riding on you. So just ... kill some monsters for me, okay?" we shook hands, Luke patted Grover between his horns then gave Annabeth a good-bye hug, who looked like she might pass out. 

          Once he was gone I leaned over and whispered "Your hyperventilating" 

          "Am not" she said lightly shoving me away. 

          "I can't use these can I?" I asked Chiron He shook his head. 

          "Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air ... would be unwise of you." he said. 

          I turned and looked at Grover, "Hey you want a magic item?" I asked him. 

          His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree "Me?" he asked not taking his eyes from mine. I simply nodded and in no time we'd laced them onto his fake feet and the worlds first flying goat boy was ready for lift off. "Maia!" he shouted. He got off the ground okay, but fell over sideways so his backpack dragged on the ground the shoes bucking like tiny broncos. 

          "Practice," Chiron called after him. "You just need practice!"

          "Aaaaaa!" Grover went flying down the hill sideways like a possessed lawn mower heading for the van. After a Harty laugh Annabeth and I made to follow him, Chiron catching my arm. 

          "I should have trained you better," he said remorsefully. "They all had more training, though you are gifted with the bow and sword I wish I could have trained you more before all this." 

          Once all was said and done I slung my bow over my back and put riptide in my pocket and after securing my quiver I made my way down to the car joining Grover and Annabeth ready for my first quest to begin.