Arc 1: Chapter 2: A Sandy Seabed

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds
Chapter 2: A Sandy Seabed

It would be minimising the suffocating aura if I were to say I wasn't relieved to be finally stepping off that train. Never in my life had I ever met someone so... so... just overly repulsive! Whatever. Forget it, Cassandra, you have much more pressing matters on your mind. Like finding where on Earth four students have vanished to... and why.

It didn't take long for me to arrive at the castle by moving carriage. Fortunately, I was able to grab one with a couple of other professors so it was a lot less awkward than sharing with a load of students. One of them did catch my eye: a very short brown-haired individual who presented himself as Filius Flitwick. He barely came up to my thighs! Though he seemed very good-natured, albeit a tad mischievous, and gave me hope that perhaps the man I met was a simple outlier.

Before arriving, I took the liberty to have a look at some of the Ministry photos of Hogwarts. It appeared breathtaking. Seeing the real thing in front of me put those photos to shame instantaneously. The castle stood high above me as seas of people, mostly well below my height, paraded towards the entrance. Right, I believe I had a note from Dumbledore in my suitcase... Fortunately, it didn't take too long to find as I had stuffed it in my designated "VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT LEAVE OPEN" pocket.

Plain and simple to the point, the note read in very delicate handwriting:

Miss Juniper,

When you arrive at Hogwarts, please come to my office immediately. You will find the entrance by the gargoyle on the third floor. The password is "Ginger Creams". I look forward to seeing you.

Albus Dumbledore

How nice. I would have thought they'd have chosen a password stronger than common confectionary but it could be he has less to hide than the Minister.

Headstrong, I made my way to the third floor and swiftly found the gargoyle mentioned in the note. However, not before seeing something that was not out of the ordinary but gave me odd chills. A gorgeous Maine Coon cat with bright red eyes sat to my side. Its fur was a dusty yellow and it certainly looked well looked after. Cats and the like were welcome for students to bring. Was this one lost? Dumbledore was waiting for me; I don't have time to search for its owner...

"Who are you?"

A shock went through my system as a forceful voice called right behind me. As if it was trained to do so, the cat went and climbed into the arms of the person. Everything went eerily silent. This was not someone to be messed with. I turned on my heel and was flooded with a sense of bile in my stomach. A pale balding man with long grey hair glared at my presence.

"Tell me. Who are you?" he pressed more aggressively, sliding closer to get more of a look at my face. Don't let him get to you, Cassandra, there must be some explanation for this...

"Filch! What have I said about this needless interrogating of anyone who comes down this hallway?" My saviour. An older lady dressed in dark witch robes and sporting a tight black bun called down the hallway before marching to suppress "Filch".

"Forgive me, McGonagall. I'd never seen her before. Thought she might be an intruder." He cuddled the cat tightly as he spoke. I suppose it's understandable given the circumstances that he would be concerned.

"Are you alright, dear? I assume you're the person from the Ministry Dumbledore asked for. Filch, will you go take her suitcase?"

"That's alright. I'm-"

Without her saying anything, I felt the sudden need to stop speaking. This woman has a real dominating aura. One that demands respect and attention. Unlike the Minister, it felt natural and deserved. Without complaint, I handed him my suitcase. I hope nothing gets stolen...