Arc 3: Chapter 2: Right As One

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 2: Right As One, For Whose Call?

"That's my cue!" Ludo announced with great pride. "Enjoy the match, you two." With that, he darted his way towards the arena.

"Guess he must be doing some of the announcements." I commented as he grew ever smaller.

Severus and I began to make our way towards our seats. Dumbledore gave us the best ones possible in the VIP box. Right at the top of the arena, one could see the entire pitch and you were at the perfect height to see all of the players flying around on their brooms. 

As we sat down, my body began to shake in anticipation. The cries of excitement from the crowd were electrifying with the amount of energy they were giving off. Down on the lower levels, I could see people holding flags and banners displaying praise for their favourite teams and players. There were also bright fireworks illuminating the sky and each team had brought along sources of entertainment before the match would begin.

"I can't believe we're actually here." I said in amazement.

"Me neither." Severus replied, though his meaning was entirely different.

I did have to give credit to him where it's due. He was putting himself in a situation he definitely would rather not be in for someone he cared for. It did make me feel special.

After a short while, it appeared that everyone was now ready for the match to begin. All the sounds were deafening but it didn't bother me one bit. Settled around us, I did recognise some of the other people. Most of them happened to be pureblood families who could display their riches for all to see. I think I could see the bright blond hair of the Malfoys a little over yonder...

"Welcome to the Quidditch World Cup final!" Ludo's voice rung out over the arena. Down a few floors, I could make out his figure in the announcer's box. "I hope you're all ready for the showdown of Portugal versus Germany!" 

The crowd let out an incredible echoing cheer. 

"That's what I like to hear!" Ludo continued with even more confidence and hype. "Now, before we begin, a special guest has decided they want to say some words... at the last minute." Those last words were muffled but still somewhat audible. He probably didn't intend that. "A round of applause for our great Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge!"

The crowd gave a bit of a confused cheer but it was explosive nonetheless. My hands began to tremble slightly at the sight of Fudge. Had he seen me? I felt Severus place a hand on my leg for comfort. Hesitantly, I took a deep breath and a shudder shot through my body.

 "Yes, thank you, Bagman." Fudge said without much grace. He clearly hadn't changed at all since I left. It wasn't surprising but it still disappointed me somewhat. "Again, welcome to the World Cup final. The Ministry has worked exceptionally hard to bring you the best experience possible with safety as our utmost priority."

Riiiiiight.

"With that in mind, we should all remember why we are here: to enjoy the union of wizards across the world and receive the boons of that teamwork. We are stronger together than apart and I look forward to what we can achieve."

At that moment, I think we locked eye contact. His eyes visibly were filled with shock and his face went slightly pale. He quickly dismissed himself and Ludo took over.

"Well, wasn't that nice?" Ludo yelled. "I think it's time the game begins!"

All the players of both Team Portugual and Team Germany walked onto the pitch. Despite being so many levels below, I could still see Patricia Evergreen's striking red hair.  They climbed upon their brooms and the match began with the Quaffle, Bludgers and Snitch shooting off.