Arc 2: Chapter 9: Perseverance

Arc Two: Delusional Reverie
Chapter Nine: Perseverance

Cassandra's Point of View

The fatigue that had been consuming my body suddenly faded and I found myself on the ground of the Great Hall. Slowly, I held myself up on my elbows. It felt so unfamiliar being in my own body again. Seeing the world from a third-person perspective will do that to you.

Dumbledore, McGonagall and Trelawney watched me cautiously. The gap was a lot smaller than it had been previously but they did not dare come further. Severus looked as if he wanted to come and take me up in his arms but he understood it would be reckless. 

As if on cue, a horrific pain surfaced in my head. I knew it was Ruberion trying to come back and he would be able to do so soon.

I could hear the sound of heels clicking against the stone flooring as they came ever closer. Barely able to turn my head through the agony, the golden gown of the woman who had stood aside approached with her scales still in hand. Elegantly and refined, she knelt down and pressed a finger to my chin, forcing me to look at her the same way Ruberion did. 

"You humans are absurd. Filled with your own selfish fantasies of revenge... The one inside you cares not for the atrocities he would commit, even at the sacrifice of another. You poor lamb." she spoke sympathetically. It was hard to decipher if she meant those words as pity or as distaste. "I will suppress him temporarily. Calamity awaits those who earn its favour."

The pain subsided and the four began to approach. The woman vanished.

"Stay back, Sybill, just in case." McGonagall warned as Trelawney took a step back to protect the sword. 

"Cassandra..." Severus huffed worriedly as he swept me up. I had forgotten what his warmth had felt like. It was so sweet and cherishable. 

I hardly knew how to speak. Anything could come out of me again. 

"Severus, we don't... we don't have much time." I spluttered panicked. "Ruberion will come back and he will unleash Calamity. You need to run away from here as fast as you can. Gather the students and flee." 

Dumbledore understood that it was impossible. With so many rooms and students, some of them would be left behind for certain. The only way to save everyone would be...

"My Inner Eye is telling me that... we have to kill Cassandra to protect them." Trelawney timidly wept from behind McGonagall. 

"No." Severus snapped which caused Trelawney to flinch backwards.

"Severus, it is the only way." McGonagall rationalised to him. 

"I will not lose her again." His grip on me tightened in desperation.

I had to convince him. Trelawney predicted that I had to die and it was the only way to suppress Ruberion for good. He would not stop unless he lost his vessel. If I were to die, Ruberion would die with me. Our souls are linked. Two became one.

"You have to, Severus." I leant back to look him directly in the eye. They were watery and unclear. "Ruberion will possess me and he will unleash Calamity. No matter what you do... I will be gone. Please. As my last wish, save everyone." I couldn't stop the tears that began to fall down my cheeks.

I don't want to die. I had only just found my home. My family. I understood what kindness and love were. How to cherish another. And now, to protect them, I would have to die for them.

"Cassandra... I won't let you die." he whimpered.

"Do it for me, Severus. Save everyone. I'll never forget the time we spent together. They were the best moments of my life and I'll cherish them forever. Thank you for everything you gave me."