Arc 3: Chapter 5: Love, Time, Prophecies

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 5: Love, Time, Prophecies: Mysteries Without Answer

The next day, Severus and I awoke early in order to try to wrap our minds around the next piece of the riddle. For inspiration, we took a stroll through Diagon Alley. The street was narrow in size with building after building with shops. I knew from working at the Ministry that it cost more than a pretty penny to rent one of the spaces for even a short period. Only the most prestigious shop brands could afford the prices. Arguably, the most famous location of Diagon Alley was Gringotts. Run by goblins, it was known as the most secure location in the entire wizarding world which was no surprise considering it was a bank known for its security measures.

"Are you quite finished?" Severus asked as I jumped down the steps of a store with a cone of ice cream in my hand.

"Nowhere close. Sorry Severus, but sometimes the mind needs a little break." I teased as I licked the ice cream. "Vanilla for your thoughts?" I poked the cone towards his face to which he flinched away.

"Eat your cone so we can continue." was all he said and he began to walk away from me.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming!" I yelled from behind and frantically tried to eat the ice cream. "Ouch, brain freeze..!"

Over the distance, we began to see many people pooling outside one shop. Though we tried to shuffle past, it was impossible to do so without noticing which outlet it was. Flourish and Blotts... the well-known book store. And guess who was having a book signing tour right now?

"Line up, everyone, line up! I am so glad to see you all here!" Hearing the voice from inside alone began to make me cringe. Lockhart...

"Miss Juniper? Is that you again?" I heard him sing out. How the hell did he see me from indoors-

I ducked down within the crowd but that didn't stop him from coming to find me and dragging me inside against my will. I must have looked like a captured hare in a trap begging for release. Severus tried to reach out but the number of people created another blockade between us.

Lockhart pulled me towards the back of the shop where he had set up his display and numerous books for his signing event.

"How did you like my new book, Miss Juniper? Go on, tell them all!" he pressured and nudged me encouragingly.

"Uh. It was..." I said awkwardly as I remembered I threw his book into the bin. "Great?"

Everyone in the shop let out cheers of excitement. It rather riled up Lockhart's ego more.

"Exactly, exactly! Why are you still reading that old book, my girl? You should be reading more fascinating literature." Lockhart protested as he yanked the tome from my grasp once more. How I failed to see this coming was beyond me. "Tell me, was I correct in my prediction last time?"

I stared at him blankly. He couldn't have known Severus and I broke into Hogwarts-

"I'll take that as a resounding yes. Perhaps you'll be as famous as me one day if you keep these tirades up. A collaboration may be in order. What do you all say!?" His voice went significantly louder when he spoke to the crowd. I think I'm going to go deaf if they keep screaming every time he speaks to them. Then, he placed his palm on the small of my back and directed me to the back wall.

"Tell me, how are things going at the Ministry? Can I rely on you to forward my appeal again?" he asked in a hushed voice but nonetheless eager.

"I don't work for the Ministry anymore, Lockhart." I explained biting my lip awkwardly.

Lockhart's face went temporarily pale as he realised he could no longer buy his way through the process. "This is a cruel joke, you know. To think I thought we were friends after our last encounter!"