Arc 1: Chapter 11: A Sweet Dream

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds
Chapter 11: A Sweet Dream

The next few days went past without trouble. However, on the final day before those who wished to return home for Christmas were to leave, Dumbledore decided to host the funeral for the lost children. It was a damp and dreary day but the snow did not melt despite the mild precipitation. By the boundary of the Great Lake was where everything was laid out. Row after row of chairs went on to be able to sit every professor and student. In front of everyone stood a wooden podium and behind it was an arrangement of flower bouquets and bundles. There were portraits of the five on display for all to see. It was them we are remembering. 

Dumbledore stood at the podium and gave his words of remorse. Not one person spoke out of turn during the entire service.  I sat at the front row, with Snape to my side, and listened intently. I had known these students little more than their names and worst habits but they felt like a part of me. 

"...and I must conclude by reminding us all that Hogwarts will always be there for you. Though these are strange and uncomfortable times, we must preserve ourselves. I am confident that is what they would have wanted." Dumbledore finished. For a moment, we made eye contact and he gave me a solemn smile. 

"I believe Miss Juniper would like to say a few words now." he declared. Despite my work at the Ministry, talking to large crowds was more to the appeal of Fudge than myself. But it was the right thing to do now.

I rose from my chair and took Dumbledore's place at the podium. Hundreds of faces met mine and my heart began to speed up. As I began to speak, I could see in the corner of my eye Snape give an assuring nod. I could do this.

"Greetings, everyone. I'm sure you know by now that I am Cassandra Juniper. I came to Hogwarts to investigate the disappearances of four children. Unfortunately, a fifth was taken from us before we were able to... to stop everything. Though I never got to speak to any of them, they taught me more than I ever expected. I believe that, with their departure, we can all learn something from them. I want to thank them individually."

I paused and looked towards Ravenclaw.

"To Jessica Marin, a wonderful member of Ravenclaw house. She was a studious individual with a grand future ahead that was stolen from her. Jessica, you taught me the importance of separating myself from my work. It is essential that we all take breaks at times and evaluate the world around us. Nothing can be more important than our health. I thank you for allowing me to realise that point."

Then, I looked towards Hufflepuff.

"To Rayer Terrell, an overly confident but ambitious member of Hufflepuff. He had his faults but he always pushed forward despite them. Rayer, you taught me to believe in myself and that I do have worth in this life. It may seem bleak and hopeless at times, but if we keep our heads up and give our best smile, we can get through it all. Thank you for helping me to love myself."

I turned to Gryffindor.

"To Christina Beckett, a sweet and innocent Gryffindor. She wanted nothing more than companionship but struggled due to her insecurities. Christina, you taught me that I don't have to go through life alone. I can rely on those close to me and let them in knowing that I have their care and love. Life is so much better surrounded by others and I'm sorry you never got that chance. Thank you for pushing me to leave my circle of isolation."

Lastly, I turned to Slytherin.

"I did not know Genny Roberts as well as the others but I understood that she lived with high hopes. Genny, you taught me to decide the future for myself. I no longer find myself chained down by the expectations of others. I lead now on the path that I made for myself. Thank you for showing me that there are other routes than the one in front of you."