Arc 3: Chapter 4: Futurebearing Clandestine Canopies

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 4: Futurebearing Clandestine Canopies, Under What Deliverance?

"Just think about it," I said as I began to pace in thought, "wasn't one of our first theories that the Hound was made in the Forbidden Forest and it wandered onto the school grounds? It would have been the closest Ruberion could have gotten without triggering Hogwarts's magical field. If we apparate into the Hound's lair and go through the Forbidden Forest, then we can get into Hogwarts that way."

Severus briefly evaluated my plan before coming to an agreement it was the best option. "We will still have to be careful getting through the Forest itself. Furthermore, the castle may be empty for summer but that does not mean we are able to walk around freely." he warned.

"I don't know how much of this we can really prepare for." I said as I walked to a nearby bin and threw Lockhart's book into it. Severus raised an eyebrow at my action. "What? 

"I thought you were a fan of his." Severus said somewhat sarcastically. 

Shrugging indifferently, I really couldn't care much less. "He's a bit of tart that one. Besides, it's hard to carry both books around." I clarified shortly. Severus didn't push on the matter; he likely had as little mindfulness on the matter as I did.

"We still have daylight hours to spare. Let's go now so we're ahead of schedule." I remarked looking at the bright sunshine. He nodded and we disapparated from Hogsmeade.

*****

Moments later, we reappeared in the front of the Hound's lair. Just seeing the entrance after knowing what happened to the children, and what nearly happened to me, still gave me chills. Despite it being roughly in the afternoon, the light levels of the forest were barely brighter than when we visited during the nighttime. I brought out my wand and cast "Lumos" so we could see at an improved distance. 

"I will take the lead. Stay close." Severus advised as he began to track through the foliage towards the castle. I nodded and followed closely behind on the lookout for any threats that could approach. 

The Forbidden Forest was no stranger to magical beasts. Severus and I knew that... and yet it was near-impossible to avoid danger. The Acromantula den, the centaurs, even stray werewolves, could jump out at any moment. It was only because of this heightened awareness of my surroundings, that I noticed something strange that I had never seen before.

"Wait, Severus, come look at this." I called out and pointed towards a spot a few steps away. With careful footing, we approached a large hole in the earth. It went so deep that there was no bottom in sight. I grabbed a nearby pebble and threw it down... no noise came. 

"Has this always been here?" I asked in awe. What could this be?

"We should not be here, Cassandra. Come." Severus said with mild panic as he placed a hand to my waist to guide me away. 

"I know but... it's so strange. Why is a hole like that in the Forest? How did we never notice it before?" I prodded as we continued towards the castle.

Severus didn't have an answer. Instead, he continued to make his way without many other words along the way. 

I suppose I'll have to keep a mental note of this place.

*****

Somehow, we managed to escape the Forest without encountering any beasts. The castle sat looming over the horizon. There was an ominous feeling pooling in the bottom of my stomach knowing that it was empty apart from the ghosts and magic within. We climbed our way and managed to infiltrate the interior of the castle through the area near the greenhouses.