Arc 2: Delusional Reverie: Chapter 1: Remembrance

DISCLAIMER:

This is the first chapter of Arc 2. If you have not completed Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds, please do so before you begin reading Arc 2.

Arc Two: Delusional Reverie
Chapter One: Remembrance

Dreams are incredible things. They can make your heart flutter in pure bliss or can be your darkest agony. They can be influenced by your deepest wishes and your worst fears. Some say they have the power to control their dreams but nobody can truly say that dreams bend to their will. Dreams will always influence us. There is no escaping them. You cannot run from your own mind.

If only we knew that sooner.

*****

The Christmas break passed by in a blur. Right as it began, it had already finished and students were once again returning back to Hogwarts. With the events of the previous year long behind them, everything can finally progress as planned. That, too, included my new life at the school. I couldn't be happier with my life. My time at the Ministry was over, I could be where I wanted to be and I got to spend every day with the man who made living so worth it.

A light tap on my shoulder broke me out of my daze whilst I sat down at one of the desks in the Potions classroom. The very first class of the term and I'm already out of focus! I've really lost my game. The worst part is that Severus was not about to let me off easily no matter if we were together now.

"Daydreaming already, are we?" Severus asked smugly. He knew he had caught me in a moment of weakness.

Lightheartedly, I chuckled. "Course not. I was merely thinking very deeply! Got to have my brain in gear and all that."

He scoffed and continued his pre-class activities. There was no fooling a man like that. And yet, he seemingly played along.

"And what exactly were you thinking about?"

"I- that is to say- I was thinking about-" I stumbled on my words pathetically. He was always great at catching me out in the best and worst ways.

"I know you were daydreaming." he asserted.

"Can you blame me?" I protested. "Everything's changed. Something weird and fantastical can happen at any moment and be entirely new to me." I stood up from my chair and went to Severus's side. "Especially you."

Severus eyed me briefly, unknowing of what to say. Having a partner, someone to care about, was a new experience for us both. Moments of vulnerability from emotion and expression felt foreign. It was difficult to not think of these feelings as a sign of frailty.

"I know this is all new to us... and believe me, I'm terrified too, but everything's going to be fine. Besides, how can anything be worse than the last term? I doubt I'll have two near-death experiences in one academic year." I reassured him as I pulled him into a short embrace.

"I may only wish that you are correct." was all he replied with when we separated. Oh Severus, boldness in such a fashion isn't your style, is it?

*****

Once the class began, all the students were rapt with attention. No less could be expected from Slytherin house with the greatest respect for their house leader. All eyes laid heavily on Snape as he began to instruct the class as to the methods of creating a Calming Draught. They seemed to pay little mind to my presence.

"Today, you shall be making a Calming Draught. Who can tell me the properties of this potion?" Snape asked and multiple eager Slytherins raised their hands. Snape pointed at a young girl at the front.

"A Calming Draught is, as suggested by the name, used to calm someone down after they've experienced a kind of shock or emotional outburst, Sir."

I gave a small approving thumbs-up that went unnoticed by everyone. Was I that invisible to Slytherins when Snape was there?