Arc 1: Chapter 6: Stars Above The Sea

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds
Chapter 6: Stars Above The Sea

When the ball finally started, music could be heard blasting through every edge of the castle. There were streamers and balloons in each corridor and the booths set up earlier were filled with students trying them out for various prizes.

The true amazement was the Great Hall. The signature weather ceiling had been enchanted to display a beautiful snowfall that appeared to hit the floor without piling up. The long tables had been put away and replaced with an array of circular tables decorated with long white clothes and matching chairs. There was still space near the back for the dance floor.

Nothing at the Ministry could ever come close. The only thing the Minister allowed was a small Christmas tree in the lobby for the holidays. Otherwise, it was business as usual.

Walking into the Great Hall gave me a sense of empowerment. Everyone was dressed in their best robes. My worries of not fitting in were washed away in an instant. There was ballroom music playing that gave a whimsical and magical feel to it. Some pairs were already dancing along like they were absorbed into the melody. 

To my delight, there was already a group of my colleagues gathered to one side taking a proud look at all the arrangements. Of course, I went over to join them.

"Ah, Cassandra, how lovely for you to join us!" announced Pomona Sprout, pulling me into the circle. 

"Indeed. I was rather wondering if you would be attending." McGonagall gently smiled. Serious as ever, she couldn't suppress her relief for a relaxing evening.

But there was one person who was missing. Albeit, it was no surprise that Snape might not have come. Balls didn't seem his thing. A wave of sadness struck me. For a moment, I thought that he may have come for me.

"My, my, you look radiant, Cassandra." Dumbledore admired as he approached. I thanked him in return and he gave a wink knowing he was responsible for it. "Looks like the students are returning to their usual selves. An excellent idea this ball was, Minerva."

"Thank you, Albus, but it could not have been done without the unification of Hogwarts. Despite dark times, it is essential that we come together."

"I'll cheers to that!" Sprout waved her glass in the air.

"Cheers!" Everyone clinked their glasses together in celebration. So this is what family feels like...

A mild nudge pressed against my arm bringing my attention to Dumbledore.

"I recommend you look over there." he whispered in my ear and pointed across the hall.

As cliche as it sounds, time really did feel like it stopped. The moment I turned my head, I saw what Dumbledore was referring to. Across the room stood that increasingly familiar figure that had become prominent in my life. Instead of his usual robes, Snape wore a long dresscoat and matching trousers and shoes with it. His hair was a little curled like he had spent time pampering himself for once. To think he said he prioritised his inner qualities more!

"It would appear to me... that he has been waiting for the right person to join him." Dumbledore egged and gently shoved me forward. I could hear McGonagall and Sprout chuckling as I hesitantly made my way towards Snape. What am I doing...? We spent yesterday together after hating each other since we met and now I'm about to ask him to dance. But I couldn't deny the heat in my face as I observed his attire once more.

As if on cue, curse you Dumbledore, a romantic slow song began to play the moment I got close enough to Snape for him to notice me. He swallowed and reaffirmed his posture.