Arc 3: Chapter 9: What Hearts Wish

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 9: What Hearts Wish, People Fall Victim

"Go on then, cutie, where is it? You're being awfully suspenseful." Patricia prompted eagerly.

"None of this was coincidental. This whole journey was planned for me from the beginning." I began, turning to face their eyes craving knowledge. "The book with the riddle was originally my mother's which she gave to the old man in the bookstore. The confusing part was that she said the riddle didn't match where she found the pieces. Of course, we know where the pieces were. Patricia gave me the first, the next was in the Vault of Fear, then the Ministry, then Gringotts, then the Mirror of Erised, but my mother didn't have the final piece. She couldn't hide what she never had."

"My Inner Eye is cloudy. Do explain for us, Cassandra." Trelawney asked curiously.

"My mother died searching for the Abyssian Blade. It must be with it. We have to find this ancient civilisation and there, we will find the Abyssian Blade and the final piece of Ylgind." I explained.

"But how do you know?" Patricia replied. "How is none of this just one big coincidence?"

"I don't fully know the answer to that but the riddle was made for me by the worshipper all those years ago. The worshipper knew of what was to come. They knew I would make this journey and the Prophecy... The Prophecy showed me finding it, not Elsie. It all fits. I need to find the Abyssian Blade."

"Then where do you suggest we begin?" Severus said.

I hummed lightly to myself as the others thought with me. "If we want to have any idea of where the Abyssian Blade would be, we need my mother's notes. She may not have been able to figure out where it is, but we can know where it isn't. It's a start if anything. My father likely has the journals with him. We need to go to the Ministry."

"Alright! I've always wanted to see what secrets you weirdos- uh, not you, Cassandra- those weirdos keep!" Patricia lept up happily.

"It would not be wise for the four of us to all go together. It would put unnecessary pressure on the Minister." Severus responded. He had a point. Fudge was no good under pressure and the four of us would put him to anxiety.

"Just Severus and I should go." I agreed, much to Patricia's clear disappointment.

"Then Cinnamon and I will hold the fort for you here. We'll look in the library for anything that can help." she cheered and pat Trelawney a little too hard on the back. Seems she came up with her nickname for Trelawney too.

"I will see what the future holds for you, Cassandra." Trelawney added. "Do take care. I do not sense danger but there are signs of conflict."

"Thanks, you two." I said and Severus and I left on our brooms to Hogsmeade and disapparated to the Ministry.

*****

The Ministry never changed each time we visited. The same lobby with the same massive fountain with the same massive statue stood grand and tall. Though it was coming upon evening, there were the remaining stragglers for the late-night shifts doing their work. The lights were slightly more dimmed to hush out the non-workers but that didn't deter us from our business. This was essential.

Severus and I entered the elevator, thankfully not greeted by an unpleasant Umbridge, and pressed the button to take us to Fudge's office. In a matter of seconds, we arrived and paraded our way through. There were a few workers there who recognised me but they did nothing to stop me. It felt strange. The previous time I was here, they all looked at me with such disgust and disdain. Now, they looked pitiful. Why had their expressions changed so significantly?