Arc 3: Chapter 7: Resolution On High

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 7: Resolution On High: Our Willingness Unleashed

The very moment we apparated back at Spinner's End, the force of gravity suddenly functioning properly shot through my knees and buckled me directly to the floor. It wasn't pretty and the force felt like I had been shot multiple times from the crushing impact. My stomach almost could not keep its contents in. Severus, however, landed much more gracefully, still upright and dignified while I was sprawled over heaving. 

"Never... again..." I huffed through harsh breaths and I tried to collect my footing but the dizziness kept me prone. 

Severus hoisted me up to my feet by supporting my waist and directed me towards the living room. I promptly fell to the sofa with a deep release of air. My head felt as if it was going to explode from the sudden change of air pressure. Severus watched on as I took a few minutes to catch my breath. Once I stabilised myself, I began to speak once more.

"We actually did it." I laughed to myself. "The first people to ever break into Gringotts and get out. What a feat." 

"I do not think that is something we should be celebrating." Severus replied somewhat harshly. "They know who we are. It is only time until they send someone after us." 

It was almost comical the timing for two letters to suddenly fly in through the letterbox, obviously delivered by owl. Severus went to collect them and returned with them in hand. 

"They are both for you." he said. 

"This one is from Gringotts..." I remarked surprised as I recognised the symbol of authenticity on the envelope. I opened the documents and a neat and formal letter came into my hands.

Dear Ms. Cassandra Fudge,

Still people call me that name...

Regarding your actions at Gringotts today, our team has performed an audit on the vault you opened. It has come to our attention that the vault in question, Vault 956, belonged to one Elsie Reutin. She had not updated her details since opening the vault. Upon further inspection, we discovered that she has been deceased for some time and that you are the rightful owner of Vault 956. As such, one may only conclude that you did not steal anything from Gringotts and you are classified only as a regular customer. Your actions, and that of your companion, will be overlooked on this one occasion. 

Do not make the same mistake again.

-Gringott
Owner of Gringotts Wizarding Bank

"Looks like we're off scotfree." I said relieved and handed the letter to Severus to read.

"Do you not find it incredibly unlikely coincidental that the piece was found in your mother's vault of the over a thousand potential vaults? How did you conclude on that vault?" Severus asked intrigued.

I explained to him that I was being guided by the same magic I felt from the original pieces and that they were pulling me toward the vault. I could hear someone talking to me but I couldn't piece what they were saying together. 

"It is like you have some kind of attunement to the Amulet. And it resonated with you, did it not?" 

I nodded and explained what had happened in the ravine that allowed me to know when to disapparate. His gaze went to that of the window in the kitchen. He was deep in thought.

"This goes far deeper than I originally anticipated. Your mother may be the one who hid the pieces." he theorised. He had a point that the newest piece being there couldn't have been just down to luck. 

"But the riddle was written goodness knows long ago. But how did my mother know what was in the tome if she never owned it?" I asked as I picked it up from the table and placed it in my lap. There was no indication it had been owned by anyone relevant before the old man at the store.