Arc 2: Chapter 6: Reality

Arc Two: Delusional Reverie
Chapter Six: Reality

Despite Ruberion plaguing my dreams once more, I somehow slept relatively well. The sun was already high in the sky, giving a gentle glow outside. I could hear a couple of students talking amongst themselves as they went past my door. 

Ruberion... How is it possible that you harmed and killed so many and yet... you appear so harmless? Which of us is the mistaken one? Me or the world?

I composed myself and headed to Dumbledore's office to give him the news of last night's dream. Perhaps he would have more of the answers I seek.

*****

Dumbledore was already much awake and lost in thought. He sat at his desk, eyes wandering from book to book but peered up as I entered through the door.

"Good morning, sir." I said as I approached his desk. At a closer look, the books appeared to be detailing different myths and legends from ancient times. One, in particular, was on a chapter labelled "The Cavity of Calamity". A sudden shiver shot through me. I recognised that name and yet, I was certain I had never heard of it before. 

"Good morning, Miss Juniper. I presume you are here because of another dream?" he inquired as he adjusted his glasses to sit properly on his nose. He held his arm out to direct me to sit in the chair opposite him, to which I did so.

"He spoke to me again. Sir, the Ruberion you've told me about and the Ruberion I've been meeting... they aren't the same person."

Dumbledore's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"He admitted everything you said he did. About killing the girl and being the Hound of Dreams' master but there's something different about him. He's so... honest, kind, caring, open. I can't help but wonder if you were mistaken or he's changed. At least, he said he had done so." 

"You must listen to me, Miss Juniper, and I mean truly listen." His tone changed from curious to harsh-sounding. "Ruberion is a manipulator. He is using your emotions against you, just as the Hound did once before. He knows you have the compassion to trust and forgive and he will pretend to have changed to isolate you. If you give him the opportunity, he will strike at your frailty." 

I wanted to protest but I knew deep down that he had to be correct. Ruberion was the Hound's master and he had almost killed me once before. This had to be some sort of ploy to do so again. But why would he want to kill me now? The Hound was gone so the students at Hogwarts were protected... unless there was something else.

The even stranger thing was that the students seemed to have returned to their normal level of rulebreaking. Had Ruberion succeeded in whatever it was that he was trying to achieve with them? If so, what was it and what is his next move? All he seems to want is for me to stay with him in that dreamland. Almost as if all he wants is to make me happy. The same with the five other students... 

"I understand, sir. I'll be more careful with him." I responded as I looked down at my hands. They were shaking ever so slightly. 

"I am glad you understand. I appreciate that it is difficult to be told to not trust someone who has only presented themselves as harmless. However, it is to protect you." Dumbledore looked back down at the pages in front of him and began to read once more. 

My head turned around to gaze around the office. That was when I noticed something different than before or I had only just noticed it. There was an empty glass cabinet attached to the wall. It looked as if there was something in it previously that had been removed.

"What was in that cabinet, sir? I thought there used to be something in it but there doesn't seem to be anymore." I asked and pointed towards it. 

"That, Miss Juniper, contained the Sword of Godric Gryffindor who was one of the founders of Hogwarts."