Arc 2: Chapter 2: Memories

Arc Two: Delusional Reverie
Chapter Two: Memories

Early March

The season had finally begun to change from its wintery sheets of white to its new earth bedding. Fresh grass was reaching towards the sun and the trees had decorated their branches with their proudest greens. There was a crisp spring fragrance in the air that filled your chest with courage, much like the flowers who came to sprout. 

I wish I could say quite the same thing. Since the term began, I've been feeling dizzy most nights. It could be from anxiety or perhaps I've been overworking myself. Trelawney would say I'm about to encounter certain death. I'd go to sleep... and my mind would feel blank. Like there was something that was supposed to be there but there never is. Severus suggested I take a potion to calm down my thoughts when I go to sleep but even that failed to work. It was rare that I had a single good night of sleep. 

Though, last night was not one of those nights; I slept somewhat soundly. My thoughts felt gathered. Complete. The best part of it all? It was the weekend. A day of relaxation and freedom in the glorious sunshine. An idea struck my mind as I got changed into a flowing dress: a picnic. That was something I'd never done before and with a good night's rest and good weather, there was no better time.

*****

I made my way to the school kitchens where the elves, whom I had gotten somewhat close to in my time here, worked to prepare all the meals for breakfast and dinner. If you were nice, they'll get you a little something special. Tickling the pear of the painting that leads to the entrance, I found myself in the elves' hideaway. There were tables identical to the ones in the Great Hall set out that would transport food directly where they were laid above. Dozens of tiny figures buzzed around the large room as they tried to get meals ready.

One, in particular, noticed my presence and came to approach me.

"Miss Juniper!" she cried, "It is so nice to see you again!" 

"Utsy! How have you been?" I replied. 

Utsy was one of the more experienced elves at Hogwarts and it showed on the stains that appeared on her toga clothes. She considered herself quite the connoisseur in a variety of dishes and cuisines. If she knew it, she could get it ready for you in a flash. 

[Artwork by juniperfawnart]

"Very good, very good. It has been quite busy with the term beginning again. Utsy keeps having to remind some elves," and she glared at a rather scruffy male elf who was holding off stirring a kind of cream, "that they should be doing their work instead of slacking off."

I chuckled. Utsy always had a bit of a temper when it came to laziness. That may have been why she was so determined to get me out of my room when I was skipping meals. She couldn't stand seeing my layabout self and, admittedly, I hated that side of me too.