Arc 3: Chapter 10: Her Intentions Are...

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 10: Her Intentions Are... Ones Worth Knowing

As we made our way through the tunnel, my skin began to prick at the chills nipping at my arms. Despite drying ourselves with magic, being so deep beneath the surface meant the entire inside of the cave was damp with moisture. Without wind to clear it, it pooled and oozed out of the rock. 

"I think I see something up ahead." I said to Severus and Lockhart. 

I walked a bit ahead and was greeted by a diverging path. A tunnel to the left and a tunnel to the right. They looked identical in every aspect. As the two approached, our wands dimmed and all light was lost... until faint balls of light brightened up the ceiling. They were tiny and so small that you could squash them between two fingers but they did their duty to bring sight. I would have liked to imagine they were tiny fireflies but this wasn't the time for such thoughts.

Severus came forward to my side and inspected both paths. "A puzzle. Surely only one of these leads the correct way." he remarked as he pressed a finger to his chin in contemplation. Lockhart pretended he was also analysing the situation.

When I looked at the floating balls, I felt a strange feeling in my chest. One of... loneliness. Yet, they felt so familiar and kind. I held my palm out and one drifted from above to it. It hovered just above contact but it seemed as if it were resonating with something. It moved, to my understanding, happily and floated towards something... As I got closer, I realised it to be an old sign. It was covered in unintelligible runes. I knew how to read ancient runes but these were not any that I had seen before. Severus inspected too but he came up with nothing. 

Then, the light that showed the sign came towards the Amulet. It stroked along its surface before embedding itself in the intricate design. The branch-like pattern began to sprout leaves. Whatever this place was and the Amulet were now connected. Just as it had done so in Gringotts, the Amulet began to glow and I realised the once unreadable runes began to make sense. Though they looked exactly the same, I could interpret them.

For the one who is to come, know that I am the Sin-Bearer. Who I used to be, all that I used to hold, is now turned to ash by my own hand. I repent of my cursed darkness but I know they will never forgive me. Despite that, it is my duty as their leader to atone. I will bring them to this resting place so they may be at peace. None shall be left behind, and I will grant them all that they wished for.

Father, I am sorry.

"How sad..." I said but still confused as to which path to go. It was unknown what was at the end of either and the incorrect choice could mark our demise.

As the thought crossed my mind, the feeling in my chest grew greater. Though this time, it was not coming from the lights but from the cave itself. It was the same magic as the Amulet and Calamity... This place... must be as ancient as they are. 

"Do you two feel it? That energy?" I asked.

"Is it the same as before?" Severus asked, unable to identify it. I nodded in response.

"I do not but fear not, Cassandra, my dear. It is only a matter of time." Lockhart declared annoyingly. His voice was getting intolerable... Why did we bring him along again? My eyes drifted to his back as he stood in front of the right path. ...Now I wanted to push him. Severus definitely noticed my thinking. I raised an eyebrow and shook my head at him. 

......

The glow from the Amulet overtook my senses. When I was released, Severus and Lockhart were in different places than they were before. I then saw myself standing there still clueless.