[17 - Jinxed]

Percy

When I wake, I'm not in the hotel. I rub the sleep out of my eyes, my arms and legs still drowsy from the peaceful nap I had. I quickly gaze around at my surroundings and I let my body relax from its tense. I was back in S.T.A.R. Labs, and I believe I was just sleeping in the medical bed in the med bay, although I'm not sure why. I'm ninety percent sure I wasn't hurt. That other ten percent wasn't exactly sure.

I heard a muffled conversation, but more like an argument, coming from the Cortex. I step out of bed and walk down where Barry, Wells, and Joe were near the computer screens. And as I guessed, Barry was arguing with Wells and Joe, but I couldn't tell what the problem was.

"It's for your own good, Barry," Wells says in a calm state, exactly the opposite of Barry's. I was surprised at his emotions right now, just earlier, he seemed so collected. I looked at the clock on the wall and it read 5:32. I slept for longer than I anticipated. But outside said otherwise. From the windows, the sun was still high, but gradually setting.

"My own good?" Barry repeats, insulted at the words. He staggers back and looks at the two men with disgust in his eyes. I knew this wasn't my conversation to listen to, but what was I supposed to do? The only exit in the room is between me and them.

I slid back into the room and pressed my back against the wall, listening closely.

"You're too close to this," Joe begins but at that, Barry goes on a rampage. And despite our little encounter earlier, I feel bad for Joe at the moment.

"I'm too close to this? Maybe you're not close enough! Maybe if you told me that he was here, what, three weeks ago? I could've been prepared." His teeth grind together and even though I can't see him, I feel the anger in his body rising.

"Now, now. You shouldn't blame Joe for wanting to keep Iris safe, Barry." He tuts.

"That's why I have to be here! I'm your best and pretty much only chance at catching this guy!"

"Percy is right there in the med bay, do you not find him capable of handling the Reverse Flash? Are you doubting his abilities?" Wells asks and I resist the urge to stumble back at his words.

"No, I'm not, he's a strong kid but his abilities mean nothing up against the Reverse Flash. It's just that he could incapacitate Percy before the blink of an eye. I'm the only one who matches his speed."

"Not in this state, you aren't," Joe adds and Barry just sighs in despair.

"This is my fight."

"Not today, Barry."

With that, I peak my head around the wall and watch as Barry storms out of the room without another word. And for once, I think Joe and Dr. Wells did the right thing.

After a long exhale, Joe asks Wells, "do you think we did the right thing?"

"I do, I really do. He's safer back in his lab at CCPD, not here."

"Yeah, yeah, you're right." Joe says before walking out of the Cortex, Wells follows behind.

•••

With the Cortex empty, I hop out of the med bay. I try to shake their conversation out of my head while I search for Annabeth. It doesn't take long before I find her and Cisco in his lab, tinkering with some machine. "Sleeping Beauty is finally awake," Annabeth punches me in the arm playfully as I walk towards her. I engulf her in a hug before I reply.