[18 - Candy?]

Percy

"We're lucky it's just a broken leg," Caitlin said to Annabeth and me. I gave my girlfriend a reassuring squeeze in her hand and she gives me a tired smile in response. "Just give it, maybe, six to eight weeks to heal before you put weight on that foot."

"That long?" Annabeth frowns at that. I was surprised at how slow it took mortals to heal. We were both so used to the advanced technology of demigods and ambrosia and nectar, that we never even stopped to consider this. Gods, this was all my fault. If I was paying more attention to Annabeth, it was unlikely this wouldn't have happened in the first place.

"Yes, but it might take even longer, depending on how well the healing process goes. But if all goes well, you'll stay here for a few days and I'll give you some crutches."

"Okay," I said, looking down at a dispirited Annabeth. "Thanks for your help, Caitlin."

She gives the two of us a sympathetic smile, "Anytime." And she leaves the two of us alone in the med bay.

I look at Annabeth somewhat hopefully, "Hey! It's fine! It won't be as long as you think you will. Just let me get some ambrosia-" I begin to walk out the room, wanting to get the bundle of ambrosia in my backpack but Annabeth grips my hand before I can leave.

"Percy, you can't. Be logical. They'll find it suspicious if I'm suddenly healed within one or two weeks."

"I'm aware of that, but are you sure?" I bend down next to her bed, getting to eye level and she nods as she shifts to get comfortable. But she immediately winces and her hand flies to her leg from the sudden movement.

"Okay, you know, I wouldn't mind just a little for the pain," she laughs halfheartedly and I grin, running out of the med bay towards my backpack.

I notice Barry's eyes follow me as I come back to the med bay, but I ignore him. I was just focusing on Annabeth. "Here," I crack a very small piece of ambrosia, less than what she would normally get as a demigod, since she wanted to make sure nobody got suspicious.

Annabeth drops it in her mouth and closes her eyes as she savors the small piece. As I'm wrapping the ambrosia in some Saran Wrap, Barry finally comes up to us. "What's that?" he points his chin to the demigod food in my hands and I stuff it in my bag quickly.

"Just some candy I bought," I shrug. Barry doesn't seem like he's going to ask for some, so I let out a breath of relief. But of course, Cisco was listening in to our conversation. He hops out of his chair, "Candy? Aw, man, I want some!"

I look at Annabeth who stares back at me with widened eyes. Barry still stands at the doorway and I didn't know what to say. "It's expired!" I shouted, hoping that would work. But it doesn't.

At that, Barry makes a face, but doesn't question it. He saw me give Annabeth the piece. "Oh, that's fine!" I'll still have some."

"Cisco!" Caitlin slaps him in the arm. "You're not supposed to eat expired food."

"She's right," I said. "If you eat it, it'll make you barf!" I cringe at my own lie.

"Ugh," he exasperated. "Fine. I won't have candy. Such party poopers."

I give him a face but Cisco doesn't see it because he's grumpily leaving the Cortex. Barry eyes me skeptically, and I hold his bitter gaze for a moment before turning away. Don't look at him and he won't question it, I think to myself. I could feel his agitation radiating off his body and I grew stiff, my movements slow and minimal. I was surprised that it worked because he left the med bay within seconds, leaving the two of us alone.

I let out a breath, my eyebrows knitting together. "That was close."

———

I left Annabeth to go to sleep. It was late, not necessarily late, it was only 9pm but I felt so depleted, I needed the rest, except I wasn't very tired. I tried my best to sleep in the plastic chair in the med bay, but it wasn't exactly what you'd call comfortable. I could've gone back to the hotel room but I didn't want to leave Annabeth alone.