Epilogue 💖

6 years later

(Noor's pov)

"Dr Noor." I was walking towards my office for my break when I heard a voice behind me. Turning around, I saw one of the nurses rushing over to me.

"Ji?" I answered as soon as she reached me.

"There is a patient in OT 5, who is in a delicate condition. Aap jaldi chalen." Without any further discussion, we immediately made our way to the operation theatre.

Upon reaching there, I quickly put on a pair of gloves and moved towards the patient without any delay, having already been dressed in my protective overcoat and pants.

As soon as I reached the patient, one of the nurses spoke up.

"Dr, the patient is going into cardiac arrest. He is unresponsive."

"Okay. Get the defibrillator ready." I said and after taking a look at the EKG monitor, I immediately got to work, trying to get a response from the patient.

A couple of hours later, the surgery came to end, with some difficulties. I moved to the small sanitising room at the edge of the massive operation theatre. Taking off the protective gear, I washed my hands and cleaned up.

I walked towards one of the nurses. She turned towards me at my approach. "Hum Dr Ruhaan ko keh den ge ke woh regular check-ups ke liye patient ko visit karein. Aap patient ko room me transfer kar dein." The nurse nodded in affirmation and moved back to patient.

I walked out of the OT and almost immediately a family of 6 members rushed to me. One of the men, who looked to be the patient's son moved forward.

"Congratulation, the operation was a success. Patient ko hosh aa gaya hai. Unhe abhi different room mein shift kar rahe hain. Phir aap un se mil sakte. Baaki sab details aap ko nurse de den gi." I spoke, before anyone could say anything.

"Thank you so much, Dr." The whole family stared at me with looks of gratitude.

I smiled and nodded before leaving them to their own happiness. I moved to my office and checked my time. There was nothing else on my schedule for today, so I decided to go home. I checked the time as I grabbed my things and found that it was 4:30 pm. It was quite early for me since I wasn't usually free from the hospital until 6.

Now I had time to go home and spend more relaxing time with Hamza. He was always home before I was because his work ended earlier.

I was about to walk out of my office when the office telephone rung. I walked over and picked it up.

"Assalam Alikum. How can I help you?" I said.

"Dr Noor, please report to my office immediately." My eyes widened as I heard the voice of the other side. It was the voice of the Head Cardio surgeon of the hospital, Dr Zawaar Abidi. He was a man in his late 50s and was very dedicated to his work.

"Yes, Dr Zawaar. I will be right there." I said and hung up before immediately moving out of my office and towards his. Dr Zawaar was very serious about punctuality. He said that even one minute of wasted time could prove to be fatal for the patient. Which was absolutely true.

I reached Dr Zawaar's office and knocked on the door. On getting a positive response, I entered the room. Dr Zawaar lifted his head and nodded at me.

"Please take a seat, Dr Noor." I moved forward and sat on the chair opposite him.

"You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes. As you know, I am in my late 50s. I have worked in this profession for quite some time. And recently I have given some thought to retiring from this post." I frowned, not understanding where this conversation was going. "I going to need someone to take up this job after I leave." He paused for a while. "I believe that you are most deserving of this." He slid a white envelope over to me.