Needing to Return

By the end of the day Venyamin was exhausted. Viorica and Helsing were both stubborn as fuck, but he didn't see them killing each other for their different views, but that was likely because the entire family's status was teetering in the hands of their old mother. No one could really say or do anything until she was out of the way. 

Viorica drove home with him, and when they got in the back of the large black SUV, he held up a hand and demanded the driver to raise the music. He'd been listening to English rubble for so long he forgot how intense and mood hitting some of his homeland songs were. 

He ignored his sister for the rest of the night and instead called for Marty, who to his surprise was waiting for him in his assigned quarters. 

"When are we flying back?" the small man asked immediately upon his entrance.

"I don't know."

"Marilyn is atrocious. If you don't call her in the next hour, she will be tracking us down and flying over here."

"She's going to get herself killed, over here." Ven muttered pulling up his phone, to find no service. He flinched thinking about how he never transferred anything over. He likely was going to have an international bill the size of big Texas. 

Marty handed him a different phone, "Use this genius."

"Easy."

"While you call her, lay down. I haven't run tests in a few hot minutes."

"After," Ven snapped, about ready to throw something. He was done being pushed and pulled around. First his mother, then calling his wife, then Viorica, and Helsing, and oh he was just done with it all, and Marylin's demands weren't helping. 

To his surprise his boss answered on the second ring. "What," she snarled in tone that gave him shivers. 

"It's me, Marilyn, what's up."

"Where the fuck are you?"

"I went home because my mother is about to die," he said blandly. 

"You have tasks here at hand, that I need you for."

"You are very inconsiderate. Let me repeat. My mother is dying."

"I don't care. You have obligations here. Last I checked you fled that frosted over terror land for a reason." 

"You don't care my mother is dying?" Ven huffed a laugh. 

"Do I sound like I do?" Marilyn just about screamed. "You are pregnant with perhaps the most groundbreaking science experiment the world has ever seen, and you just up and leave."

"I'm fine and Marty is here with me." 

"I don't care, get your ass back here immediately."

"For fucks sake, Marilyn!" He barked back about ready to throw the phone into the wall. "I have to deal with this you inconsiderate twat!"

"Alright. Play games with me then, fuck around and find out."

"I will return as soon as possible. What can I do in the meantime? Do you need ultrasound photos?"

"I was supposed to have a public talk show about this, but you never showed up. I was supposed to release progress reports to the investors, but you aren't here."

"I've been gone a couple days at max. Marty will send them over, he's just about to give me an ultrasound." Marilyn was so irritating because she was acting like she now called the shots, when before he'd left, they'd come to terms. He'd bought off the stolen drug, and reinvested.