Kicks

Anissa studied her husband. They hadn't spoken on the ride home. Marylin was very satisfied with the answers and reports Venyamin gave, and she'd sent him home to rest and relax after. 

He was fiddling with his cuff links in front of the sink, studying the sink. "So. Where do we begin?" 

"Maybe we should get a townhouse," she blurted. 

He flinched in surprise, "What?"

"You are right. She doesn't need to be cooped up in the city," Anissa grinned. Venyamin blinked at her and then broke into a smile. 

"I would like that very much."

"Isn't know the gender better, Ven?"

He nodded, "Maybe just a little." He had a huge grin on his face by now. His bright blue eyes shining from the glow of the window behind him. 

"I also think, that maybe working out would be good for you. Or we should go on a vacation." Again he blinked at her dumbfounded, like it was surprising she had come to compromise so quickly. Which she had, but he'd bowed for her, so she'd conform for him too. 

"Vacation will be tricky, especially with how work is picking up." 

She felt a slight spark of anger at his words. At their prior fight. How he'd spent a very good portion of their savings, without telling her, and still wanted to go back to work. She cleared her throat. "Let's think about that for a long second."

He opened his mouth and paused. His gaze shifted around the room, and he tipped his head to the side. "I've got to make up the money for what I've done."

"But you've invested, so the profit will come."

"But we will be buying a house here shortly, and maybe a vacation."

"I'll be back into work soon too, Ven."

"I am still a CEO. Marylin wants me more front and center."

"She doesn't give a damn about you, she just wants your belly front and center."

He pursed his lips. Anissa knew he was a charmer at the company and made shit run the way it needed to be run, but all wasn't going to go to plan anymore. She had a strong feeling people were just going to take one look at him, and see him nothing more than pregnant. Handsome and pregnant. 

"I was thinking about something else," he murmured. "It sparked me when we got back today, that I'm due at seven months. Not nine. How far am I right now?"

"Probably about two, maybe a little more. Closing in on three."

He flinched again, "we are about four months out from this baby being born then."

"Our daughter being born," Anissa corrected as they both looked to his belly. At that moment he winced. He put a hand behind him, and really looked enthralled at his stomach--brows raised high and lips pursed. 

"What?" she asked, stepping towards him. "Are you alright?"

"Hell, I've not felt that before." His heavy accent coated his words in confusion. He grunted, sliding a hand across the swell of his stomach. "What the hell is going on in there?"

She closed the distance between them, "what do you mean, Ven?"

"I-I-I don't know. I think something is wrong." He held his stomach tighter. 

She grabbed his sturdy forearm, pulling it off his stomach. Then she untucked his shirt from his pants, and undid the bottom buttons, exposing the smaller swell. She slid her hands across his taunt skin. "Ven, explain to me what's going on."