Looking Grim

"Ven?" Anissa sputtered, recognizing his bright eyes and sharp jaw. Beside his flopped form stood an unfamiliar man with a heavy brow line,  one that looked like it fought being trimmed. The unfamiliar man had really sharp blue eyes like her husband, and similar facial features, and an overall body structure, just a little taller and lankier. 

"Ani...what...what are you doing here?" he sputtered again, struggling to push himself to his knees. He was panting for breath, and a moment later he unbuckled part of his Kevlar vest. 

She blinked in a daze, looking back at Jack. He was whining in pain where she was applying pressure. It was worse than she'd thought. Somehow the bullet had made it between the Kevlar plates and likely into his lung, or at least skimmed it badly. She couldn't fully tell though with all the black armor and pockets in the way. 

The Ven-look-a-alike cleared the distance squatting down beside her. "Shit. Jackie, oh shit."

He grabbed her co-captains forearm. "Where do you think you're hit?'

"It hurts to breath," Jack said, his voice wet. 

When the man spoke to her husband, in Russian, his voice sounded identical. It had to have been Venyamin's brother. 

Venymin met her gaze, "I think we have some sort of escape aircraft coming along. We have to get off this boat though." 

"How does he know Jack?"

"I have no idea." Her husband put a hand on his stomach, underneath the lifted plate and took a heavy breath, closing his eyes.  Anissa felt her heart clench, the last she'd seen of him, he had killed the baby from drinking. She was going to divorce him. She had left him to pursue her career, thinking she had nothing else left. 

"Ven," she said. "What are you...you doing here?"

He sneered despite his eyes being closed. "Apparently being used as an escape goat. Killed my sister, just watched the other one potentially die, my mom died, and the other gang here turned on us. Been a rough few weeks...months however fucking long I've been gone."

"What?"

"How about you?" he asked, looking from her to Jack, to his brother and back. The man beside her was trying to find the bleeding, but she really couldn't focus on them. Of all the things she thought she was going to see today, her husband was not one of them. 

"Trying to aid a drug bust. Something big is going on. Didn't expect it to get this ugly."

"Yeah. Uh, its neither of these boats. The drugs are quiet aways down the shoreline."

"Actually on the red tug boat. The boat was over ridden a day or so ago, but guess you don't know that yet." The man beside her said, his face laden with worry. 

"Huh?"

"Yeah. This set up. These boats are for distraction, we need to get moving. He need immediate attention." His word choice ended up okay but he clearly didn't speak English as good as Venyamin. 

"Hel," Ven said. "Do you know him?"

"No time to explain." He said promptly, picking up Jack. It was concerning how loosely her co-captian hung. His face pale, lips drained, and eyes and hair all the more darker. "I think the plane or helicopter we are looking for is legit on shore. We need to move and move now. He needs help."

Anissa watched Hel cautiously peak over the railing. There was still gunfire, screaming, helicopters, and all sorts of noise bombarding her senses that it was a miracle she could even focus on anything anyone was saying.