Amends Made

Anissa sat beside Jack, holding his hand, rubbing her thumb across the top. She held her laptop in the other, her soul crying. Her soul doing more than crying but screaming in frustration. The email was dismissing her of a suspect to aiding Venyamin and his mafia family. Jack had come clean, had told them everything, took her and Ven out of the equation all together. 

He was barely conscious, and she hadn't figured out how to start the conversation. She'd sat the better part of two hours in the car crying her eyes out. 

"Jack, I'm so mad...." she finally choked. "But I don't want this. Not you. Please not you."

His eyes fluttered, confused. He was on heavy relaxers to keep his pulse down, to keep his oxygen requirements low. She'd been mad, but her mother was right. She didn't want to see him die, and now he very well could. This was his only chance to get the lung, to get any better breathing treatments before the government came after him for foreign aid, even if it was for the cost of love not tyranny. 

"Hmm?" he murmured. 

She squeezed. "Why did you do it? Why?" 

After reading the email, she'd paid for the surgery, the estimated value upfront, so there was no denying him of a lung now. Screw the insurance approval, screw the quotes, screw everything, she'd even paid out of pocket for the lung.  She'd already inquired to some of the country's best lawyers too, and even, even crazily so, put a word to Marylin, telling her, demanding her to help. 

"Do?"

She squeezed harder, making him blink a few more times. He took in a wet breath. "Ani?"

"Fuck you Jack, fuck you," she choked. "Why?"

"Why?" he slurred. "Whyyy?"

"Why did you do it? Why did you turn yourself in?"

His lips quirked up ever so slightly, his eyes brightening despite the medical induced glaze. "Because....because of the baby." He paused to breath. "Because you didn't deserve it." 

Her co-captain hadn't even met the baby.  She'd been too much of a prick, a selfish prick.  She knew deep down why he did it, because she was innocent, but she didn't want him to face it alone. They'd gone through so much, and while nothing was fair, especially being spied on, he'd only been looking out for her and Ven. It was the right thing to do, but the wrong thing for her soul. She didn't want him to be investigated while she rode free, which she was. She knew now there would be no discharge email coming, perhaps not even a questioning, after what he done. 

She squeezed his hand. "Thank you."

"Is...did he...have her?"

Tears pricked her eyes harder, and she nodded. "Yeah. He had her a couple weeks ago already. Her name is Jessamyn."

She saw his eyes wet slightly, his smile growing, and squeezed her hand back weakly. "I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid at all." He paused to breath. "And you shouldn't be either." He paused to cough then struggle to regain his composure. "I knew what I was doing, I knew my actions, and I will face the consequences."

He rubbed her hand back. "You didn't deserve any of it, and you won't go through...through anything."

"I got you some lawyers."

"I don't need them," his voice was stern. "My judgement day is coming."

She laughed. "And I don't care, judgement can be swayed with money, and I have money. What do I do about Helsing, will they take you? Will they take him?"

"I don't know." His eyes fell. "I hope not. I....Don't want to be separated anymore. I didn't see my husband for the better part of five years."

His eyes searched her. "Should...should they just take me into custody, please watch over him. Please help him and Ven get along." He gave a ragged breath. "Please make them get along. It hurt's Hel so much. It kills him knowing what he put Ven and the baby through."