A Sick Mother

They'd resumed cuddling for a long while after that. Whatever near panic attack he'd had was clearly over.  She snuggled further up against him--wondering what in god's name had ever just went through his head. She'd never seen him like that before. 

He'd fallen asleep a while later, snoring so very softly. Since his weight gain he started to develop the habit. She just snuggled back up against him, her mind in a turmoil. She still didn't like the thought of Marylin mandating and dictating so much of his life and work. She also didn't still fully agree with him staying at work. Whether they had lost assets or not, she wanted to get away with him for a while and take a break from it all--they had plenty of money. Not to mention, he was absolutely right, soon, within five months, he have their child and they were hardly prepared. 

There was suddenly a very faint knocking. She lifted her head in a frown. It was silent for a few seconds before it occurred again. Venyamin didn't even shift, didn't acknowledge it. He just took a deeper breath, ascending further into sleep. 

She quietly removed herself, giving a kiss to his stomach before rising, when after a few minutes the knocking occurred again. She narrowed down the noise, it was coming from their  entrance door. 

Anissa donned the handgun she spied on their couch, wondering who the hell could possibly be knocking at this time of day, and so very softly. She kept it near her thigh as she slowly opened the door, not willing to stretch up to see through the peephole with her sore leg. 

There was a woman standing there. Tall, dark hair, intense blue eyes, and a strong nose. She studied Anissa. "Is this..." Her accent was so thick and guttural, it was hard to understand her. Russian. Very Russian with hardly any English practice. "My brother, you see," she crooned, "Venyamin Vehlhadden, I was told he might be here." 

Anissa's heart picked up, "That would be my husband."

"Brother is married?" she sputtered a laugh. 

"Viorica," a deep growl sounded behind her. Her husband had woken up, donned a hoodie, and snuck behind her without her even hearing one footstep. 

"Ah, Venyamin," Viorica purred, and began speaking in Russian. She spoke for a good few minutes, a calm, gentle purr, but while she seemed relaxed she felt Veyamin stiffening behind her. 

"No," he sputtered when she finished, then proceeded to give a response in Russian that Anissa could only take as a denial to Viorica's request. 

Anissa glanced over her shoulder at her husband, his decently-tan skin utterly ashen and pale. His blue eyes were wide and unreadable due to the flow of emotions raging through them.

"Honey," she began to question, but Viorica began talking again, this time in English.

"It is to your benefit, Ven, the family benefit that you come to aid the family." 

"No," he barked. "I will not!"

She pursed her lips in a rueful smile. She was beautiful. Al her sharp features compiled into a strong etched face, merciless and cunning, but beautiful. She looked so much like her brother, Venyamin. 

"You know our tradition, you can not deny the request. Our mother's request."

Venyamin swore and began barking off curses in Russian, practically raging at Viorica. He threw out his hands in exclamation, and then twisted them up in a heavy shrug. It seemed like he was demanding why. 

"Ven," Anissa interrupted both of them, "What is going on?"

His skin turned another, paler shade. "Home life in Russia is not good."

Viorica gave a laugh, "You didn't tell your little wife what was going on? Who you really are?"

Little. Anissa had half a though to kick her into the wall across the hallway. Viorica was taller than her, putting her well over six feet, if Anissa was just a touch over six-foot herself. She'd forgotten how big Venyamin was sometimes. 

"What does she mean, Ven?" Anissa murmured, turning a half step to face him. She could see tears threatening to spill. He shook his head. 

"Just thought you'd outrace it all, build yourself a new life?"

"No," he sputtered, "Don't do this. I have a family." 

Viorica gave a deep shuddering laugh, "Fool. So where is the child? You wife can stay to care for it."

"The child isn't born yet," he snarled, raging yet again. "You can't do this. You can't come here and demand this, you can't..." He died off to begin barking in Russian.

"You wife is safer here, with the baby on the way. Leave her and come now." Viorica glanced Anissa up and down. She didn't know. She had no idea that it was her brother that was pregnant. That Anissa couldn't have kids. 

"Venyamin," Anissa snarled herself. "Tell me what is going on!"

"I have life debts that I owe. Life debts that have been called in," he said softly. "Life debts that I never thought I'd have to face."

"Ven, what is going on?" she pressed.

"Big brother was once the head of our family mafia. He fled Russia and passed it back to our mother. Our mother is very ill, it is time for him to reclaim the business." 

"I'm not that man, I was never that man!" Venyamin screamed. "Take the ownership, take it, just leave me alone!"

"But you have life debts to be paid and our allies want you back in charge. War is coming amongst groups." 

Anissa struggled to stay upright, to not fall to her knees. She'd been told he was a soldier. She'd seen his file. It was all a lie. He grabbed her arm to stead her. He pulled her against her. 

"Anissa," he sputtered. 

"Is she lying, Ven? Is she?" Anissa snarled, glaring up at him on unsteady legs. 

"No." He looked away from her back at his sister. "I will give you anything, but I can't go with you. I can't go back to Russian. I run a company. I'm having a family. I fixed my life, and got away from it all. Life debt or not...."

"Then they will come to kill you for it," Viorica smirked. 

"Let them try," Anissa snarled. "I dare you to!"

Viorica just shrugged, then let herself in. She pushed past her brother, "I traveled long and hard to be here. I need to rest."

Veyamin just studied her helplessly, and Anissa didn't stop her either. She had to many thoughts going through her head. Her husband had some serious explaining to do.