5. Girls Night

"So you're telling me Niko

"So you're telling me Niko. Nikolaus, our childhood friend who ghosted us, the same person who quote 'hates' dancing, offered to be your partner?" Bella asked, her head peeking from the back seat.

It was rare to have Bella ride back home with us. But since Vince had a science club meeting she didn't want to stay after school, plus she wanted to get things ready for 'girls night.'

"Yes, now would you please buckle up," I told her. Axel hadn't said anything since I explained what caused Niko and I to be late for class.

"I just can't believe that he's going to be your partner," Bella muttered.

I looked at Axel who was focused on the road. "What do you think, Axel?"

He glanced at me. "Well, at least you got that figured out." He gave me a soft smile.

"Do you guys think Loretta will approve of Niko?" I asked worriedly.

Bella crossed her arms. "Mar from what I remember, he was a really good dancer, like he was really good. I don't know why he didn't keep going with it."

I nodded, "Do you think we have a good rhythm together?"

"Well it was usually you and Axel but from the very few times I'd see you and Niko I would say yeah you guys have a rhythm."

I turned and glared at her. "You two will be spending quite a bit of time together for the month you guys are practicing. So you can definitely get some rhythm going if you aren't sure."

"Axel, do you think me and Niko have rhythm together?"

He didn't look at me and kept his eyes on the road. "Maybe? I don't know, I haven't seen you dance with him in years."

"Great now you guys have me overthinking," I mumbled.

Bella smacked me on the arm. "Mariposa, you're going to do great with him. You have a month to practice. In that month anything can happen." She thought about it for a moment. "If our dance team passes the first round, did you tell Niko he's going to continue until the competition ends?"

I smacked my forehead. "No, I haven't thought that far ahead. What are the chances we actually make it to the first round though? We're competing against other schools nationwide who are probably better than us. I mean this is the first time our school has gotten invited."

"What happens if our school wins?" Axel asked.

"Oooo, what do you guys get as a prize?" Bella asked, leaning forward.

"Aside from bragging rights, usually the team gets a scholarship to the school of their choice or if you want to continue dancing, you have an advantage for any company of your choice."

Bella smacked me again. "Tell Niko he better practice his ass off."

I laughed and looked at Axel. "What do you think? Think we have a shot at winning?"