18. Maybe, Maybe Not

There wasn't anything terribly wrong him

There wasn't anything terribly wrong him. He had what they called 'swimmers shoulder'. It didn't help that he ignored the pain and overworked his shoulder until eventually, it led to us here in the hospital.

They told him he'd need to rest from swimming for a couple weeks. I knew deep down this hurt; it was our senior year and he was going to be out for a while. Luckily for him, he didn't tear anything, and it was just inflamed. Soon he'll be back in the water if he followed the doctors orders.

I paced in the waiting room. I probably looked crazy to everyone around me. My dress was wet and dirty. My makeup was smeared, and my hair was a mess.

Bella and Vince were on their way here. She didn't read my text until thirty minutes later. I managed to call Dulce to update her on what was going on before my phone's battery died.

​​"Let's go," I heard Axel say. I turned and looked at him. He looked so much better, and he didn't seem to be in as much pain.

"Did they say you can go?"

Axel nodded and walked towards the exit. "We should wait for Bella and Vince."

I looked out the window, the rain wasn't as bad, but it still made me nervous. My hands got clammy at the thought of having to drive again. I glanced at Axel who was now situated on one of the lounge chairs.

I sat next to him and closed my eyes in thought for a bit. My brain was in fumbles, too much had happened. I was still mad at Niko since he hadn't shown up. For a split second I thought maybe something had happened to him but something told me that was not the case.

"Everything okay?" Axel asked after a few seconds.

"No. Niko stood me up." I sat up a little straighter now getting heated. "I mean he was the one who offered himself up! I can't believe this; I won't forgive him. He better have a good explanation."

"I'm going to beat his ass."

I laughed lightly. "You know with you being in pain and all, you danced perfectly." I nudged him carefully. "You still have it in you."

"Gave it my all for you. Did we win at least?"

I frowned and covered my face. "We left before it was announced. Gosh this is such a terrible day."

After a couple minutes of silence and me moping in misery he spoke up. "You drove in the rain. For me."

I was still covering my face. All the emotions were overwhelming, I just wanted to cry under my pillow.

"I can't believe you faced your fear just to get me here. You're stupid sometimes I can't believe you got the guts to do it."

I looked up at him and frowned. "I wouldn't have done for anyone else. Plus, you would have done the same for me."

He stared at me with a small smile on his face.

"Mari! Oh my god Axel are you okay?" Bella came rushing in with Vince walking behind her.