26. Lillian's Birthday

Our family stopped celebrating birthdays when I turned 13

Our family stopped celebrating birthdays when I turned 13. After that, it was pretty much just happy birthday texts and an occasional gift. The first few years sucked because it seemed as if our parents had just stopped trying or they had forgotten. Axel's mom never forgot and for that, I will always be grateful.

It was Lillian's 19th birthday and I wanted to do something special for her as it was her last year as a teen. It was the weekend and the first day of fall break. Lillian was planning to go home later in the week. I knew she was delaying her departure back home since the house would be lonely with only me and her.

I forced Bella, Vince, and Axel to wake up extra early so we could drive to Lillian's school and surprise her.

The first part of the surprise were some tickets to see her favorite pianist in concert. I didn't really know that she even had a favorite until Mariano brought it up at work.

Two Weeks Ago

"Mari," Mariano called out behind me.

I was reorganizing some books on the bookshelf to make them look more aesthetically pleasing. It was a slow Friday afternoon, so business was dead.

I looked up at him. "What's up?"

He had a frown on his face as he looked at the pile of books next to me.

"Don't worry I'll make sure it's all cleaned up. Did you need anything?" I stood up and dusted my hands on my pants.

He straightened a few books on the shelf and said, "Lillian's birthday is coming up in a few weeks."

Most of the times Mariano talked to me was because of Lillian. From what Lillian told me last time, I was still unsure of Mariano and whether I should be talking to him.

"So?"

He pulled something out from his back pocket. They were three tickets.

I gave him a confused look.

"Take Lillian. There are three tickets, one for you and her and the third you can take whoever you want."

I read over the tickets. They were tickets to see some pianist I'd never heard of.

"Are you sure Lillian will like this? I mean I've never heard her talk about this guy."

Mariano nodded and looked around to avoid eye contact.

"He's Lillian's favorite pianist. She told me when we were dating."

Maybe this was a good thing. I could take Lillian to see this dude and she'd have a good 19th birthday. Luckily the concert hall was only a thirty-minute drive from her university.

"Okay, I'll make sure to take her but if she hates it, I'll blame you. Although I don't think that would change much since she already blames you for a lot of things."