40. Back In The Competition

I didn't hear my parents come home last night so I assumed they just weren't going to come at all

I didn't hear my parents come home last night so I assumed they just weren't going to come at all. The smell of coffee and light chatter crushed my hopes.

I knew dad was going to grill me about ditching school. I got away with it once, I wasn't sure I'd be lucky to get out of it again.

I had to go early since Everett, and I were going to show Loretta we were more than qualified to perform with the rest of the team.

Shoving everything in my duffel bag, I did a quick scan of my room to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. I was not planning on making another trip and risking the possibility of my dad seeing me.

I held my breath as I walked down the stairs. I was almost out the door but of course, with my luck, my dad caught me before I could leave.

He cleared his throat. I turned and looked at him.

"Good morning," I said feigning innocence.

He shook his head in disappointment. "I would say the same but considering the call I received yesterday; it is not a good morning, Mariposa."

"I'm sorry dad bu-"

He crossed his arms and cut me off. "There are no excuses, Mariposa. We did not teach you to ditch school. We left you off the hook the first time, but this is not okay."

"It's just that I g-"

The sound of the doorbell cut me off. I was saved for now.

I turned to open it, my father stood there glaring but was waiting for me to open it.

To my surprise, Everett stood on the other side with a wide smile. I looked at him confused.

"Everett? What a pleasant surprise. What are you doing here so early in the morning?" My dad said. His whole demeanor changed, he was no longer angry and was putting on a friendly front.

"Good morning Mr. Romero. I came to pick up Mariposa. We have important dance business to attend to." Everett paused. "If it's alright with you of course."

"That's no problem. Thank you for picking her up." My dad smiled. I knew deep down this bothered my dad; he was only trying to appeal to the Young family.

Everett took my duffel bag. "We better get going so we're not late. It was nice seeing you Mr. Romero."

Everett excused himself and I followed after.

"Bye dad. I'll see you later."

He narrowed his eyes for a spilt second before putting on his front again.

"Good luck with dance you two," he called out. Never in my years of being in dance has he told me this or given me encouraging words.

I scowled and tried to hide my frustration. I couldn't let my dad get to me and affect how I performed.