6. Sketchy Town Activities

I hurriedly walked into Allegro, no doubt Alexander would be mad at my tardiness

I hurriedly walked into Allegro, no doubt Alexander would be mad at my tardiness. Mariano was standing behind the counter, arms crossed.

School had ended two hours ago and I had a shift at my sister's cafe.

"You're late," he said.

"I know, it's raining and I had to drive myself so you know how that goes," I said as I walked into the backroom.

He followed me and asked, "Why didn't you ask Niko to bring you?"

I hung my coat and glared at Mariano. "He lives on the other side of town."

Mariano looked uninterested. "Alexander isn't here, had to take care of some things with his girl."

"Good to know," I muttered as I walked back onto the floor.

There weren't any customers and the probability for them to come on a Friday was slim. Most of the people were out enjoying life elsewhere. Made me wonder why we couldn't close on Fridays since there weren't usually any customers.

Gymnopédie No.1 was playing softly. I decided to wipe down tables to keep myself busy. Mariano stood behind the counter also cleaning the machines.

After cleaning the tables I went upstairs to my sister's version of a library. Nocturne in E Flat Major started playing. I hummed to the melody, thinking of my sister Lillian who still hadn't texted me. I wondered if she decided to audition for orchestra so she could continue piano in college. I knew she would be busy since her major was chemistry but playing the piano was something she always enjoyed doing.

Valeria always suggests books to read while Lillian was always eager to perform new pieces for me. She had a way of playing that instantly immersed people the moment they heard her play.

It made me wonder if that was what captivated Mariano. I didn't know much about their relationship except that they started talking their senior year. I thought they were endgame, Mariano brought out the side of my sister I only saw when it came to playing the piano. Of course, that flame died out when they ended things sometime in the summer. My sister didn't tell me nor Valeria, I always asked myself why she went through a rough breakup by herself quietly. I didn't find out until college move-in day.

I was riding in Lillian's car while our parents followed behind us. It was nice to get some alone time with my sister since she was always cooped up in her room most of my time growing up.

"Is Mariano going to meet us there?" I asked Lillian as I looked out the window. It was a little over four hours and as we got closer we entered the mountains. The university was literally within the mountains and the sights were to die for.

Lillian didn't say anything and turned the music up louder. I didn't think much of it, Mariano probably told her he couldn't make it so he could surprise her, he was like that. I hummed to the tune of a DPR Ian song playing as we continued going deeper into the mountains, rain began to fall.