31. Bottled-Up Emotions

The day started slow, a bit too slow for my liking

The day started slow, a bit too slow for my liking. Everyone "accidentally" slept in, except of course my sister who was wide awake and had made breakfast by 7 am. The quiet morning had an eerie feel to it.

The plan was we could either choose to go and explore the town that was nearby or go skiing again. I didn't feel like skiing again, I didn't want to see Axel and Charity flirt and be stuck to each other like glue.

There was a light knock on my door. I turned to look at my sister who was dressed and ready to go.

"What's up?" I asked her.

"Can you help me take out the skiing things from my trunk since we won't be doing that today?"

I was a bit confused since I knew if she asked Julian, he'd do it in a heartbeat plus he'd probably be faster at unloading than I am. "Sure. Meet you outside."

I put on my coat and made my way downstairs. My friends were nowhere in sight, I assumed they were all in their rooms getting ready since it was quiet.

I walked out the front door and trudged over to Lillian's Jeep. The weather was not bad, it wasn't snowing but it was cloudy meaning the snow would come later. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and looked at what was left to take out. Lillian had done nothing, so all the equipment was there. I wanted to go back into the warmth so I started grabbing everything so this would be one trip.

"I'm ready to go home," Lillian said as she grabbed her skis. "I think this ski trip did not live up to its expectations."

"I agree but we have one more day." I, unfortunately, did not manage to carry everything in one go. After setting everything down at the entrance, I walked back to the car to grab the rest of the things. Lillian and I worked quietly, not much was said. It wasn't an awkward silence though, it was a comfortable one.

The sound of a car could be heard pulling in. I turned to look at her, everyone was here and we weren't expecting anyone else.

My heart dropped at the possibility of it being the person who would show up uninvited. Lillian turned to look before I did. I knew by her quick show of emotions, it was the person we were dreading to see.

I turned to look at the familiar black sports car pull up.

"I guess he is stupid enough to show up uninvited," I muttered. "I'll go tell him to leave."

Lillian didn't say anything and stood there watching. I walked over to his car, I swallowed my nerves, and put on an act of braveness. I hoped my voice didn't give out while talking to him or else that'd be embarrassing.

He turned off the engine and got out before he could get any further, I stopped right in front of him. He looked at me confused.

"Mariano, what are you doing here?" I asked quietly so my sister couldn't hear. Mariano looked past me and towards my sister.