19. Forgiveness

I woke up with a terrible cold

I woke up with a terrible cold. It was the last thing I needed since we were amidst exams. I could not afford to miss school but my mom was surprisingly here when I woke up. She saw my state and made sure I stayed home to rest.

I made sure to text the group chat so they wouldn't freak out on me for missing school.

Niko stopped trying to call and text me after he realized I wasn't going to budge.

I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling. It was a windy day in Cromerth. I was not motivated to watch tv nor was I tired.

Since I was sick, the rational choice would probably be to get some sleep. I closed my eyes and forced myself to enter a peaceful rest.

It was a little past four when I woke up. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and slowly sat up. I didn't feel as sluggish as I did this morning.

I went to my bathroom and took care of my business. I looked at my reflection and cringed at the sight, I was a hot mess.

I tied my hair up in a messy bun in hopes that will somehow tame it.

My stomach growled; I hadn't eaten anything since this morning. The house was quiet except for the whistle of the wind. My mom told me she'd be back as soon as she was done with work but I knew she would somehow get held up and prioritize that over her sick daughter.

I opened the fridge and looked for some food that I could just throw in the microwave. I groaned in annoyance when I found nothing.

Just as I was about to make a call to order some pizza, Bella called. I looked at her caller ID and answered it after a few seconds.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Mari! How are you feeling?"

I leaned on the counter. "Much better after I got some rest."

"That's good to hear. Listen I know you're sick and all but can you get dressed warmly and meet me at the treehouse."

I frowned and got a little worried. "Is there something wrong? Why can't we just meet at my place?"

"Nothing is wrong just meet me there in five."

She hung up before I could respond.

"I guess the pizza will have to wait," I muttered. I walked up to my room to grab a hoodie.

I was already sporting some cozy pajamas, so I didn't need to change much. I looked in the mirror. I looked tired and there were faint bags forming under my eyes. I slipped on my slippers and walked towards the back door.

The air was chilly and the sun was already setting. The leaves on the trees were already various shades of brown and orange and they were starting to fall off their branches. I started walking into the forest, hugging myself for some extra warmth.