20. Dancing in the Rain

The days were flying by

The days were flying by. Since exams were all of the week, the school gave us Friday off so we could relax.

Axel and I were on good terms. Although he hung out with Charity all week, I tried to not let this bother me since Axel wasn't mine and he was free to do whatever he wanted.

I didn't go to dance, the motivation that was once there was simply missing and I didn't want to force myself to go somewhere I felt I wasn't wanted. I knew I had to make a decision soon about whether I was in or out since they were preparing for the second round of the waltz competition.

"Ready?" Niko asked me as I climbed into his car.

Niko was still trying to make me fully forgive him by hanging out with me every day. He planned to take me apple picking since it was prime time. With October right around the corner, the fall festivities would start and that was something I was ecstatic about.

As we drove off, I looked into the mirror to get one last look at the neighborhood.

"Why couldn't we invite the others with us?" I asked.

"You're not going to invite your friends on a date."

I glanced at him. "But this isn't a date."

He was silent for a few seconds. "You're right but I just want this to be between me and you. Plus, we have that bonfire tomorrow with them so one day shouldn't be too bad."

"Are the apples going to be good? It's been pretty cold the past couple of weeks. I suspect winter is going to be bad."

He shrugged. "We'll find out when we get there."

"Why apple picking?" I asked as I watched the trees pass by.

"If I remember correctly, when we were ten you wanted to go with your parents but they were too busy."

"That was like seven years ago, I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday. How did you remember that from years ago?"

"I may or may not have made a list."

"A list of what?"

"Since your parents were always so busy, whenever you said you wanted to do something with them I made sure to make a mental note and write them down so we could do them together when we were much older."

I looked at him, my heart skipped a beat at how thoughtful that was but there was also a part of me that thought he was lying.

"You're full of crap," I laughed.

He frowned. "I'm serious."

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. "How's the dad situation by the way?"

"Looks like my weekends are going to start being taken by working with him. You think Valeria is hiring? I could use that as an excuse."

"You should talk to her I mean she could use the extra help since it's getting colder and people are actually wanting warm beverages."