17. Broken Promises

The day was off to a rough start

The day was off to a rough start. I had overslept and lost but then found my lucky bracelet my brother gave me. To make matters worse, it was thundering and raining hard.

The week had flown by and it was already competition day. Luckily for me I had packed everything the night before so all I had to do was shower and get to the school.

I had exactly five minutes to leave if I didn't leave then I'd be late and I'd miss the bus that was taking us to the competition. I grabbed all my bags and looked around my room to make sure I wasn't missing something.

When I realized I was set, I rushed downstairs and slipped on some shoes. I heard a honk; Axel was getting impatient. I grabbed my keys and rushed out with all my bags. I walked fast so my belongings wouldn't get too wet but it was practically raining cats and dogs. I yanked open the car door and shoved everything in.

"Where's Bella and Vince?" I asked.

"They're going to head down there in Vince's car a little bit later."

"Why? What happened to you three going together?"

"Bella's mom is home and won't leave until later."

I started to worry. "Will they make it in time?"

Axel nodded reassuringly. "Yeah but this weather is terrible. I don't think we'll be there in time since I have to drive carefully."

I bit my lip. Out of habit, I started picking at my nails. "That's fine just take your time but don't."

After sitting in silence with only the sound of rain hitting the roof my phone went off. Anxiously I pulled it out and read the caller ID.

"Who is it?"

"Amelia, this can't be good."

I took a deep breath and answered it. "Hello?"

"Mari! Are you on your way?"

"Yes I am, why?"

"We already left."

My eyes widened and my heart started pounding. "Wh- why?"

"Val told Loretta it was best we left since of the weather."

"Is she an idiot?" I sighed. "Is Niko there at least? He hasn't been answering my texts."

"I thought you two were together."

I ran a hand through my hair. "He'll be there. Update me if anything else happens."

We said quick goodbyes and hung up.

"Just drive straight to the competition. Bus has left because of my dear captain."

"I heard. Everything will work out, don't worry too much."

He placed a reassuring hand on mine. I smiled softly. "Both hands on the wheel."