36. Everett & Miles Young

A couple of days had passed since New Year's

A couple of days had passed since New Year's. It was the much-dreaded day, the day Lillian and I had to be on our best behavior for our dad's hospital fundraiser.

I was avoiding Axel, every chance he wanted to come and hang out I would make an excuse up and it was working but I knew I couldn't keep this up.

I was afraid of facing reality, I was feeling beyond guilty. It wasn't like I cheated on Axel but a part of me felt like that's exactly what I did. I kissed Niko back. I wasn't going to lie and say I didn't enjoy the kiss because the truth was, I enjoyed it a little too much. My feelings that were buried were slowly seeping back in which didn't help. I was a mess who brought this upon myself. I could've pushed Niko away, but I didn't.

It was much easier to avoid Niko since he lived so far away, he wasn't much of a concern. I wanted to ask Lillian for advice, but she was practically MIA these past couple of days. I also was afraid she'd judge me for kissing both of my best friends.

Spending the night at some fundraiser wasn't exactly my first option to spend my last weekend of winter break but I suppose it worked out since it'll occupy my mind from the real problem at hand.

The dress attire was black tie which meant I had to wear a dress. I decided on an emerald-colored satin long dress. It was sleeveless which wasn't ideal for the cold, but I just planned to throw on my coat.

I didn't do much with my hair and let it fall loose. I did some light makeup, I made sure to not go overboard.

I slipped on some heels and checked myself out in the mirror. I looked presentable, presentable enough for my dad. Lillian and I dreaded going to the fundraiser every year because we'd have to talk to everyone dad introduced us to. We weren't too fond of talking and trying to make conversation with complete strangers. The fundraiser was invitation-only, with only the most upper-class people welcome. It was a fundraiser so those people could donate and help raise funds for research or something of that sort. This year the point of the fundraiser was to raise funds to help further cancer research.

My phone buzzed on my bed. I looked at it, and my stomach dropped. I was silently praying it wasn't Niko or Axel.

I unlocked it and looked at the contact name. Thankfully it was only Bella telling me to take pictures of what I'm wearing.

I locked my phone and shoved it into the purse I'd be using tonight. Lillian knocked on my door and walked in.

She was wearing a black velvet one-shoulder floor dress. She also decided to let her hair loose and was wearing some light makeup.

"Let's go or we'll be late." She motioned with her head.

I grabbed everything I needed and slipped on my coat. I did one last check and hurried down the stairs to the garage.

The house was back to being quiet with Thiago and Celeste leaving a couple of days ago. Lillian was to go back in a couple of days so it'd be back to just being me.