Chapter 21

Elijah's POV

*BRIIIIING*

"Okay class, that's it for today don't forget to do the assignment for this week. No late work will be accepted. I'm looking at you Tod," the teacher says, packing up her own stuff. Finally, school is over. At least this teacher likes to leave as fast as we do, because the gang and I have big plans for Atlantis's birthday today. I grab my stuff and race out the door, only to run into someone standing near it.

"Oof! Why are you- Eris?" I say, jumping back in shock, "W-what are doing here?"

"I wanted to come talk to you, but I guess casually bumping into you didn't work out well," she says, giggling. "How have you been? It feels like forever since we've actually talked to each other."

Oh goddess. Okay, so, I haven't really talked to Eris ever since the Halloween fiasco. I mean technically, I've answered a few volleyball questions during practice. But once practice is over, I usually rush to the locker room. I'm just too embarrassed to face her after making out with Gray right in front her. Shattering any chance of possibly asking her out. Like, what idiot kisses someone else in front of their crush? Me apparently.

"Oh, um, I thought that you wouldn't really want to talk to me after what happened at the party," I say, fiddling with the loose string on my shirt.

"Why would you think that? It's not your fault that those fireworks went off randomly."

"Wait, what?"

"The fireworks. Don't you remember when the fireworks show malfunctioned, and caused the explosion that alerted all of the adults."

"Oh, right." I forgot that Gray had to tell everyone that the explosion was caused by a "malfunction" from one of Jaden's workers. I still don't fully understand why we had to lie, but I guess they didn't want to freak anyone out with the knowledge that they nearly got attacked by rogues. "I meant what happened near the end of spin the bottle."

"Oh, I wasn't there for the end round. I was feeling those Jell-O shots come back up, so I had to leave before your spin. Why, what happened?

"Oh, nothing. I punched some assholes who were being too handsy during their turn." Thank goddess for the Jell-O shots. Maybe my chance hasn't been obliterated yet!

"Oh, I don't mind fighting if it's for a good reason. Anyways, I was wondering, since you don't have practice today, if you wanted to hang out? It'll be nice to talk about stuff other than volley ball again," she says tucking a piece hair behind her ear.

Wait. Did I just get asked out? By Eris? Here? Now? In this reality?! OH, MY GODDESS! Okay, okay calm down. Gotta breath. Gotta act natural. Can't scare her off. Wait. Shit! It's Atlantis's birthday today, I can't just ditch her for a maybe date. Or maybe I could... Nah, it's not worth the possible ass kicking. Plus, I'd just be a shitty friend for doing it. *Sigh* The things I do for friendship.

Sobbing internally, I take a deep breath, preparing for what I have to say next. "I'm sorry Eris, but it's my best friend's birthday is today and I already made plans to spend the day with her."

"I understand. I wouldn't want to get in between you and your friends. But hey, maybe next time?" she says, with a shrug.

"Yes. Definitely. You can text me whenever your available again, and I'll be there. Just not today," I say giving her a thumbs up. Oh goddess, what am I saying?

This is so sad to watch, like, I am dying of cringe in here

Join the club asshole

"Cool. Later Eli," Eris says, waving goodbye as she leaves. Ugh, why must the world be so cruel. Why does my luck have to be so back and forth? Whatever, time to go meet up with Atlantis.